Plans for today (2024)

Is that what the argument was about?
I’ve mentioned before that she is extremely adept at finding the single negative needle in a haystack of positivity and focusing solely on that. This was one of those times.

She’s taken to drinking coffee in the mornings, but (like most things domestic), she prefers me to do, even though I wrote her out step-by-step instructions on exactly how to make coffee using the French press (how much water, how much coffee, etc).

I always get up ahead of her and make the coffee, and if it looks like she’s going to be sleeping a while longer, it goes into a thermos.

That’s what happened this morning. I got up at 6:30AM, made coffee (which takes 20 minutes, what with waiting on the kettle and grinding the beans for two French pots, heating the cream, etc).

7:30AM, she came rolling out into the living room and asked me to pour her coffee. That was it. No good morning, no “Oh, thanks, you made coffee,” just “Would you pour my coffee for me?” - which I was fine with doing.

I grabbed a mug, poured the coffee, brought it to her, and then went back in the kitchen for a few minutes.

A few minutes later, I asked how her coffee was, and all she said was:

“I don’t like this mug! The handle’s too small!”

Now, where I’m from and how I was raised, “How’s the coffee?” has but one response, and that’s, “It’s great, thanks!” - or some variation of that.

Someone has been thoughtful enough to have made you coffee. Someone has been nice enough to pour it and bring it to you. You answer that with something polite and a little grateful, not with a snippy complaint about the mug, and that’s all.

Even an answer of “It’s fine, thanks. I don’t really care much for this mug, though, I’m going to pour it into a different one,” would be ok.

That’s what I mean by her always focusing on the one negative aspect of just about anything.

“How’s the food?”
“Well, the service could have been faster.”

“How’d you like the movie?”
“Well, I wish we didn’t have to park so far.”

“How’d you sleep?”
“Well, I could hear the elevator down the hall sometimes.”

Rarely ever anything positive, even if she enjoyed something overall. “How’d you…” for her is always interpreted as, “What didn’t you like?”

Back to the coffee, I told her it was just a cup and quit complaining so much, go get another one if she didn’t like it, maybe say “thanks” for once, and she took exception to that. :laugh:

It’s a classic difference in upbringing. I was raised Midwest Polite, which means say something nice, even if you have to lie through you teeth and trash it later out of earshot, and she was raised with that sort of Northeast Directness, which means say exactly what you think, even if it’s shockingly rude, and if they have a problem with it, tough shit! :laugh:

All of her family are like that (except for her mom, who was…wait for it…a good ol’ Iowa farm girl), very brusque and casually offensive.

Hubby rarely makes dinner requests. His MO is more like this
That’s definitely her. Restaurants and movies: “I don’t care, whatever you want’s fine.”
“Great! Pizza and ‘Rosemary’s Baby’ it is!”
“No…and no.”
“Ok, burgers and ‘Xanadu?’”
“Ummmm…no.”
“What then?”
“I don’t care, just pick something. Just not those.”

🤦🏻‍♂️

That’s definitely her. Restaurants and movies: “I don’t care, whatever you want’s fine.”
“Great! Pizza and ‘Rosemary’s Baby’ it is!”
“No…and no.”
“Ok, burgers and ‘Xanadu?’”
“Ummmm…no.”
“What then?”
“I don’t care, just pick something. Just not those.”

🤦🏻‍♂️

🤦‍♀️

I’ve mentioned before that she is extremely adept at finding the single negative needle in a haystack of positivity and focusing solely on that. This was one of those times.

She’s taken to drinking coffee in the mornings, but (like most things domestic), she prefers me to do, even though I wrote her out step-by-step instructions on exactly how to make coffee using the French press (how much water, how much coffee, etc).

I always get up ahead of her and make the coffee, and if it looks like she’s going to be sleeping a while longer, it goes into a thermos.

That’s what happened this morning. I got up at 6:30AM, made coffee (which takes 20 minutes, what with waiting on the kettle and grinding the beans for two French pots, heating the cream, etc).

7:30AM, she came rolling out into the living room and asked me to pour her coffee. That was it. No good morning, no “Oh, thanks, you made coffee,” just “Would you pour my coffee for me?” - which I was fine with doing.

I grabbed a mug, poured the coffee, brought it to her, and then went back in the kitchen for a few minutes.

A few minutes later, I asked how her coffee was, and all she said was:

“I don’t like this mug! The handle’s too small!”

Now, where I’m from and how I was raised, “How’s the coffee?” has but one response, and that’s, “It’s great, thanks!” - or some variation of that.

Someone has been thoughtful enough to have made you coffee. Someone has been nice enough to pour it and bring it to you. You answer that with something polite and a little grateful, not with a snippy complaint about the mug, and that’s all.

Even an answer of “It’s fine, thanks. I don’t really care much for this mug, though, I’m going to pour it into a different one,” would be ok.

That’s what I mean by her always focusing on the one negative aspect of just about anything.

“How’s the food?”
“Well, the service could have been faster.”

“How’d you like the movie?”
“Well, I wish we didn’t have to park so far.”

“How’d you sleep?”
“Well, I could hear the elevator down the hall sometimes.”

Rarely ever anything positive, even if she enjoyed something overall. “How’d you…” for her is always interpreted as, “What didn’t you like?”

Back to the coffee, I told her it was just a cup and quit complaining so much, go get another one if she didn’t like it, maybe say “thanks” for once, and she took exception to that. :laugh:

It’s a classic difference in upbringing. I was raised Midwest Polite, which means say something nice, even if you have to lie through you teeth and trash it later out of earshot, and she was raised with that sort of Northeast Directness, which means say exactly what you think, even if it’s shockingly rude, and if they have a problem with it, tough shit! :laugh:

All of her family are like that (except for her mom, who was…wait for it…a good ol’ Iowa farm girl), very brusque and casually offensive.
I like people who say what they think, I enjoy myself in Austria where they have a very Germanic approach in that they are very direct but tbh what you’re describing would wear me down, at least some of the time any rate.

If it is just a cultural difference and all her family are like that then surely she wouldn’t take offence to you speaking plainly?

We love who we love warts n all but I can’t help but think there might be a bit of game going on here where she picks out the negative and you’re then engaged in trying to make things positive again? So long as you’re not left feeling like a dancing monkey it’s fine and dandy otherwise how you respond to the negativity might need a tweak? 🤷‍♀️

If it is just a cultural difference and all her family are like that then surely she wouldn’t take offence to you speaking plainly?
She’d probably prefer I speak more plainly. She has a problem navigating the subtleties associated with constantly reading between the lines, which is required if you interact with people around here:

“How’s the coffee?”
“Very good, thanks…and it’s good and hot, too!”

Really means, “It’s too hot, I just burned the beejeezus out of my mouth!”

“Oh, Darlene, these deviled eggs are delicious! Is that horseradish in there I taste? How creative, I don’t think I’ve ever had them that way!”

That really means, “You’ve messed up the deviled eggs, Darlene! There shouldn’t be horseradish in there!”

BTW, Darlene’s response would typically be, “Thank you, Stella! I thought it would spice them up a little. Deviled eggs can be a little plain now and again.”

Which would really mean, “I’ve had your deviled eggs, Stella, and they’re as bland as wallpaper paste!”

See, easy! :laugh:

Here’s another example, involving her dad (whom I loved dearly, so please don’t take this as any sort of dislike directed at him):

I’d just spent the better part of the year converting the mostly-unused large dining room space into a sort of mini-pub - new floor, bar and bar-back, special paint job, items all up all over from our travels, gave it a name, TV up in the corner, the whole thing - something of an homage to our love of travel. I even displayed an accurate beer menu of all the offerings available from the fridge.

I was very excited for my FIL to see it, and one of the things we did together when MrsT and I were first dating revolved around getting his week’s supply of beer laid in, mixing drinks, having cocktail hour, that sort of thing. He loved good food and drink, and we bonded over that.

They came for a visit, first one since the bar was completed, and they’d been getting bar updates during the whole set-up, and on the day, I had everything arranged perfectly, including a pitcher of martinis.

They arrived, walked into the house, hugs all round, we walked straight into the bar, he grabbed a handful of nuts, looked around, and said:

“Harumph! Nuts are stale!”

Tossed them back in the dish, walked out, and went to unpack.

That was it. No, “Wow, this looks really different!” or “You really put a lot of work into this!” or even “Thanks for having the drinks fixed,” nothing anything like that.

The thing was…he didn’t think he was being rude at all or had done anything wrong. The nuts were stale, he pointed it out so that I would know and could replace them, and that was that.

Fellow Midwesterner MIL had to explain to him in hushed tones in the back bedroom why maybe his single comment was a negative one could be construed as a little offensive.

Her sisters are exactly the same way. :laugh:

That sounds like the south, when bless your heart means you're an idiot.
It sort of is, and I catch it from both sides - Midwestern mom and Southern dad.

His mom…that woman could say the most withering things in the sweetest, most innocent way possible - which explained one of her favorite sayings, something like, “Now all I did was step on his toes without scuffing his shoes, ain’t no harm in that.” - meaning, “I insulted him, but it didn’t sound insulting, allowing him to save face.”

We started watching Downton Abbey a few months ago, finally, and if you’re familiar with it and Maggie Smith’s character, you’ll know she’s very much in that mold.

We’d gotten through three or four episodes, and suddenly, during one of her pleasantly sarcastic scenes, MrsT blurted out, “Oh my god…that’s your grandma!” :laugh:

She’d probably prefer I speak more plainly. She has a problem navigating the subtleties associated with constantly reading between the lines, which is required if you interact with people around here:

“How’s the coffee?”
“Very good, thanks…and it’s good and hot, too!”

Really means, “It’s too hot, I just burned the beejeezus out of my mouth!”

“Oh, Darlene, these deviled eggs are delicious! Is that horseradish in there I taste? How creative, I don’t think I’ve ever had them that way!”

That really means, “You’ve messed up the deviled eggs, Darlene! There shouldn’t be horseradish in there!”

BTW, Darlene’s response would typically be, “Thank you, Stella! I thought it would spice them up a little. Deviled eggs can be a little plain now and again.”

Which would really mean, “I’ve had your deviled eggs, Stella, and they’re as bland as wallpaper paste!”

See, easy! :laugh:
Oh I understood what Darlene and Stella meant straight away.
That is exactly how middle class Britain behaves. They never say what they mean and digs are hidden in compliments or back handed compliments. There’s a whole other narrative going on a lot of the time, it’s one of the reasons I like straight talking people, you don’t come away from a conversation feeling you’ve just been insulted!

I think I’m more in the direction of your wifes family’s way of being, my family certainly are 😬

Oh I understood what Darlene and Stella meant straight away.
You’re going to fit right in when you visit! :laugh:

I think I’m more in the direction of your wifes family’s way of being, my family certainly are 😬
We’re deviating a bit, but consider this exchange I had with my SIL:

(Me, on the phone with coworker, SIL in the room with me)
“Yeah, no problem, I can cover on-call, sorry to hear about your brother passing away, I’ll cover as much time as you need.”
(I hang up)
“Why’d you apologize? You didn’t kill him.”

I explained that, you know, common courtesy and all that, it’s generally appropriate to tell someone who’s loved one has just died that you’re sorry.

“I’m saying I’m sorry it happened, not sorry because I did it.”
“I guess. I wouldn’t apologize. I hardly ever say I’m sorry. For anything.”

That led to a long discussion about how, if she bumped into someone by accident, she wouldn’t apologize, because it wasn’t intentional, it would have been an accident, but conversely, had she done it intentionally, for whatever reason, she also wouldn’t apologize, since she meant to do it. :scratchhead:

“Like I said, I don’t apologize for anything!”

:laugh:

Oh, to stay on topic…making lasagna today!

That is exactly how middle class Britain behaves. They never say what they mean
Maybe that’s why I like it there - hot tea, rain, and passive-aggressive socializing! :laugh:

In all seriousness, the few years we lived there and both of us worked side-by-side with locals, I frequently found our British acquaintances quite direct. Rarely was anyone out-and-out rude, but most people didn’t have a problem correcting me on this or that, whether it was something seen as wholly British (“Oh dear, I’m afraid you’ve not made the tea quite right, let me help.”) or something squarely American (“So this is ‘ranch dressing?’ For a salad? How interesting! We don’t have this here, that I know of…<takes a couple tastes>…I think you’ve not added enough sour cream. Let me help.).” 🤨

You’re going to fit right in when you visit! :laugh:

We’re deviating a bit, but consider this exchange I had with my SIL:

(Me, on the phone with coworker, SIL in the room with me)
“Yeah, no problem, I can cover on-call, sorry to hear about your brother passing away, I’ll cover as much time as you need.”
(I hang up)
“Why’d you apologize? You didn’t kill him.”

I explained that, you know, common courtesy and all that, it’s generally appropriate to tell someone who’s loved one has just died that you’re sorry.

“I’m saying I’m sorry it happened, not sorry because I did it.”
“I guess. I wouldn’t apologize. I hardly ever say I’m sorry. For anything.”

That led to a long discussion about how, if she bumped into someone by accident, she wouldn’t apologize, because it wasn’t intentional, it would have been an accident, but conversely, had she done it intentionally, for whatever reason, she also wouldn’t apologize, since she meant to do it. :scratchhead:

“Like I said, I don’t apologize for anything!”

:laugh:

Oh, to stay on topic…making lasagna today!
Oh no, not apologising when you bump into someone is over the line, rude on a par with not covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze.
When a person bumps into me and doesn’t apologise I will call after the person saying “No no I’m fine, thanks for asking!” 😝
If I hold a door open to let someone through in front of me and they don’t say thank-you I will say both parts of what should have happened -
“Thanks” “No no thats quite alright”

But then I am also the sort of person that will stop someone pushing into a queue by saying “Excuse me, Excuse me, I dont think you realise the back of the queue is here.” and point to the end of the queue. They almost always go to the back of the queue because everyone is now staring at them, some smirking and some glowering.

A guy tried to push in front of me at airport security recently, he literally stepped around me while I waited on the line to be called through the scanner by the staff. It was so rude I waited til a millisecond before I knew they would beckon and stepped fast past him, he lurched forward and bumped into me, I glared at him, his wife told him off and security winked at me 😝

Then in a second joy, he came through and wanted to take his jumper off, his t-shirt came off with it, it was not a pretty sight (he needed a sports bra) unfortunately I have a very expressive face, you can easily see what I’m thinking and he didn’t enjoy seeing what I thought of him topless 😬😂

I have lasagne ingredients arriving on Wednesday 👍👏👏👏

Today's plans...
Back to bed now I've seen hubby off to work. I'll get up shortly when the fog has burnt off.
I've cooked tea already so don't need to do that.

I need to put together a shopping list for hubby to grab before coming home tonight.

I need to give one of my chooks extra soft feed. She's getting on, but still enjoys life, so we're accommodating her needs (soft food and a much lower roosting perch) despite it being an inconvenience on the coming food for her front.

I also need to make a much lower roosting perch for her today as well, so she isn't sitting in the mulch. She'll stay cleaner that way and keep her dignity a bit longer.

Then I need to start a Fairisle vest I've promised to knit, at least when the post arrives today. I should be getting the missing ball in the post.

Then it's the 45 minute drive each way to the doctors this afternoon.

Home again and that's my quiet day.

I might even look at signing up for a university course I've decided to do. I suspect I need to get a few things scanned and so on first, including an up-to-date CV done because my degree isn't in the field I have worked in, but my work is in the field in going to be studying.

I may venture into the garden if I have any spare time. There's loads to get done in the veg plot and the garden and I mean loads...

Today's plans...
Back to bed now I've seen hubby off to work. I'll get up shortly when the fog has burnt off.
I've cooked tea already so don't need to do that.

I need to put together a shopping list for hubby to grab before coming home tonight.

I need to give one of my chooks extra soft feed. She's getting on, but still enjoys life, so we're accommodating her needs (soft food and a much lower roosting perch) despite it being an inconvenience on the coming food for her front.

I also need to make a much lower roosting perch for her today as well, so she isn't sitting in the mulch. She'll stay cleaner that way and keep her dignity a bit longer.

Then I need to start a Fairisle vest I've promised to knit, at least when the post arrives today. I should be getting the missing ball in the post.

Then it's the 45 minute drive each way to the doctors this afternoon.

Home again and that's my quiet day.

I might even look at signing up for a university course I've decided to do. I suspect I need to get a few things scanned and so on first, including an up-to-date CV done because my degree isn't in the field I have worked in, but my work is in the field in going to be studying.

I may venture into the garden if I have any spare time. There's loads to get done in the veg plot and the garden and I mean loads...

Does one pace oneself or does one grab the feeling good moments and squeeze them for all they’re worth? 😂

If I’d just got back from a camping trip my job list would involve tea, a bit more tea and probably karadekoolaids buckets of tea 😝

Back
Top Bottom