Plans for today (2024)

Well bummer:
View attachment 113376
But I found some discounted poblanos:
View attachment 113377
Thankfully I still have a little more than a dozen eggs left in the frige.
And next stop:
View attachment 113379
Well that totally sucked. After Aldi I went to Meijer, and then to Fresh Thyme. I got some good deals but maneuvering the wet roads with the idiots who were driving in heavy downpours with no lights on was like running a gauntlet.

I scored at Fresh Thyme in a big way, I got a whole beef tenderloin for $9.99 lb and a big bag of jumbo king crab legs for $19.99 lb so Sunday I am making surf and turf for the in-laws for Mother's Day and FIL's birthday (which is next Thursday). I will bake a cake on Saturday.

Well that totally sucked. After Aldi I went to Meijer, and then to Fresh Thyme. I got some good deals but maneuvering the wet roads with the idiots who were driving in heavy downpours with no lights on was like running a gauntlet.

I scored at Fresh Thyme in a big way, I got a whole beef tenderloin for $9.99 lb and a big bag of jumbo king crab legs for $19.99 lb so Sunday I am making surf and turf for the in-laws for Mother's Day and FIL's birthday (which is next Thursday). I will bake a cake on Saturday.
I might have this wrong but I think someone else is supposed to provide your lunch on Mother’s Day!

Off to the motorcycle mechanics to sort out a bike battery.
The battery died completely which left the back up battery for the alarm quite angry and the tracker alert people repeatedly texting and ringing asking me to check if it’s been pinched. So yeh a torture I pay a monthly fee for 😂

Even with two duvets and a sleeping bag dampening the sound that was not fun!
It’s something I’d normally deal with easily myself but not on this bike, I’ve never stopped watching a ‘how to’ tutorial so fast in my life - remove the seat, remove two brackets, remove a side panel, remove the fuel tank..and I’m tapping out!
Dumb design.
Heyho.

Then a mammoth amount of housework. My heart really hasn’t been in house chores so there seems to be a lot of mess, as usual I’m flummoxed over how all that mess happens 😁

I might have this wrong but I think someone else is supposed to provide your lunch on Mother’s Day!
Well one daughter lives in Texas (22 hours away), another lives 2 hours away up on Lake Erie (and has 2 small children, ages 18 months and 4 years old), and the other one lives in Indianapolis (5 hours away). They all have to work Monday morning early anyway. That leaves my son who likely has no idea it's Mother's Day and is working that day anyway. He doesn't participate in holidays and is pretty much oblivious, he never wishes anyone Merry Christmas or Happy Birthday and doesn't buy gifts for anyone (he makes a point to get scheduled for work on holidays so he can collect extra pay and avoid his whole family). It's fine, for anyone who doesn't know what's going on with him here's the details Do people get set in their taste as they get older?

I'll probably get some florist deliveries, or maybe not. At least I will get 3 text messages and maybe some phone calls.

Yesterday husband and I went to the theatre, to see one of my favourite musicals, Les Miserables. I was that theatre-obsessed kid who had the soundtrack (on cassette tape!) and listened to it approximately 8 million times.

It was my second time seeing it on stage, and it was absolutely fantastic. Even though understudies were playing both Valjean and Javert, both put in incredible performances and were amazing singers. Really loved it - I wish I could see it over and over again!

I do have to wonder though - do people not dress up to go to the theatre anymore? It was a matinee performance, and I am certainly one who values comfort over fashion so I don’t expect evening gowns, but I was surprised at how dressed down people were. I wore a nice dress and some heels and my husband wore a suit, and we felt overdressed. We saw people in crocs, people wearing sweatpants, hoodies, and wearing baseball caps. I really don’t want to be the fashion police, but is it really that much effort to put on some nice slacks?

Yesterday husband and I went to the theatre, to see one of my favourite musicals, Les Miserables. I was that theatre-obsessed kid who had the soundtrack (on cassette tape!) and listened to it approximately 8 million times.

It was my second time seeing it on stage, and it was absolutely fantastic. Even though understudies were playing both Valjean and Javert, both put in incredible performances and were amazing singers. Really loved it - I wish I could see it over and over again!

I do have to wonder though - do people not dress up to go to the theatre anymore? It was a matinee performance, and I am certainly one who values comfort over fashion so I don’t expect evening gowns, but I was surprised at how dressed down people were. I wore a nice dress and some heels and my husband wore a suit, and we felt overdressed. We saw people in crocs, people wearing sweatpants, hoodies, and wearing baseball caps. I really don’t want to be the fashion police, but is it really that much effort to put on some nice slacks?
Agree completely.
It’s a shame.
But even my 72 year old mum who was a very, very regular theatre goer (opera, ballet, plays etc) turned up with her three friends who were similarly dressed in jeans and a jumper.

I felt bad because my bezzies mum who did the last leg of her journey in their car (and had travelled a good distance to get to them) was dressed beautifully in suede heels that matched her lovely lilac shift dress with the perfect contrasting wrap.

She’d had to arrange a carer for her husband and had to get there and back in one day so he didn’t fret.

I was so disappointed to see her feeling so uncomfortable.

Fortunately myself and my bezzie were wearing dresses so she looked a lot happier once she’d clocked us at the bar glugging wine!

ps the ballet was not to my tastes AT ALL.
It was a modern take on Swan Lake by the always sold out Sir Matthew Bourne (he was knighted for his services), I thought well what a lot of kings clothes this is!

Fortunately the trauma of having to go to the ballet with our mothers meant we were pretty relaxed on wine and had a good strong preorder ready for half time 😂

Edit- There was also some clear favouritism going on as well because one of lead characters was not at all graceful! More carthorse than thoroughbred.

Last edited:
Trying to get used to my new investment portfolio platform. There was a merger with another investment company and the new platform isn't laid out the same way at all. I am of course resistant to change but eventually will get used to it, I hope.

Got all the stuff for hubby to make the chicken Cordon Blue, so I think we will get on that shortly.

I do have to wonder though - do people not dress up to go to the theatre anymore?
It’s a complete mixed bag here - a night out at the opera or ballet will have folks in full formal dress mingling with people in their loungewear.

One fellow (who frankly does annoy me, because he’s just a little too pleased with himself) attends every event in a dinner jacket, tuxedo shirt, bow tie…and madras shorts, penny loafers, and no socks. Then he stands in the lobby before the doors open like he’s on display - “Look at me, everyone! Aren’t I just too much!”

It used to bother me a bit, and I do still dress nicely for those things (though there haven’t been many we’ve attended since Covid), but then I had a discussion with a German friend, and he pointed out that at home (he was actually living in Austria), opera and the like is “for everyone,” so people generally wear what they want, and it’s encouraged not to be too snooty about it, because it drives people away, and that’s what almost killed the arts in some areas, the feeling that it was too elitist, so I lessened my opposition…a little.

I still get aggravated with short pants on a flight, though! :laugh:

That’s what white linen suits are for. :wink:
The better to show off sweat stains? And you should see how dirty the airports and taxis are. You'll be a mucky mess by the time you get to the resort!

I think dress code merits a completely new thread, even though it's nothing to do with food.
Formality, when thinking of how to dress, seems to have gone down the drain. I'm not being judgemental; it's just happened. There was a time (30 odd years ago) when we wouldn't dream of going to a restaurant without dressing up a bit. At least a jacket, a shirt, formal trousers (not jeans) and proper shoes and socks. Dresses for ladies. Even here in the tropics - that was the norm.New Year's Eve here, until about 10-12 years ago, was a suit and tie. A long, elegant gown for my wife. No-one would dream of arriving in anything less.
I worked in Corporate until 2001 and a suit, or jacket and tie was company policy. The only exception was "Casual Friday", when we all turned up in jeans.
I expect by 2050, people will turn up in G-strings/thongs with their hair painted green.

I think dress code merits a completely new thread, even though it's nothing to do with food.
Formality, when thinking of how to dress, seems to have gone down the drain. I'm not being judgemental; it's just happened. There was a time (30 odd years ago) when we wouldn't dream of going to a restaurant without dressing up a bit. At least a jacket, a shirt, formal trousers (not jeans) and proper shoes and socks. Dresses for ladies. Even here in the tropics - that was the norm.New Year's Eve here, until about 10-12 years ago, was a suit and tie. A long, elegant gown for my wife. No-one would dream of arriving in anything less.
I worked in Corporate until 2001 and a suit, or jacket and tie was company policy. The only exception was "Casual Friday", when we all turned up in jeans.
I expect by 2050, people will turn up in G-strings/thongs with their hair painted green.
I loved everything except the last sentence. Could be sooner...maybe 2035. I might not be around to find out though.

Edited to add: when I took my mom to NYC (Manhattan) and Atlantic City the year before she died, she was so disappointed that no one was dressed like in the old movies she watched when younger.

Back
Top Bottom