Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am at present listening to Goetterdaemmerung courtesy of Metopera.org (New York Met). They are screening films of their operas at the moment - a different one every day. The Berlin Philharmoniker are streaming classical music concerts (digitalconcerthall.com), and a lot of authors are giving away free ebooks and audiobooks. I also have about half a shelf load of library books and audiobooks which will keep me occupied until the library services resume.

I am at present listening to Goetterdaemmerung courtesy of Metopera.org (New York Met). They are screening films of their operas at the moment - a different one every day. The Berlin Philharmoniker are streaming classical music concerts (digitalconcerthall.com), and a lot of authors are giving away free ebooks and audiobooks. I also have about half a shelf load of library books and audiobooks which will keep me occupied until the library services resume.
You may be interested in this:

A Comprehensive List of All Opera Companies Offering Free Streaming Services Right Now - Opera Wire

This morning there were 101 confirmed cases in the town where I live, whereas where my daughter lives there were 53 in the whole country (which is pretty big). I only go out now for my daily exercise and to take the mutt for a walk. We rarely see anyone, even on the industrial estate next to our houses and which is full of pharmaceutical suppliers and a distributor of batteries etc and are working like the clappers. The police depot is pretty busy too, but the fire station has its shutters down. I suspect the one and only fire engine has been moved elsewhere. My veg boxes, eggs and milk are delivered weekly; I have flour, butter, tea and coffee, dog food and cat food (which for a couple of weeks was gold dust), and loo rolls. I am happy I don't need to go shopping.

People here are crazy, police put out a statement , walk dogs locally, walk locally. Police are catching people driving 50kms to walk their dog, or go for a walk in a different town. Crazy.

All food available last night at supermarket. 1 in and 1 out policy, wife had a 2 min wait. Beef prices have risen 50%. She didn't buy a beef roast. I wanted cold meat for samisen.

Russ

People here are crazy, police put out a statement , walk dogs locally, walk locally. Police are catching people driving 50kms to walk their dog, or go for a walk in a different town. Crazy.

All food available last night at supermarket. 1 in and 1 out policy, wife had a 2 min wait. Beef prices have risen 50%. She didn't buy a beef roast. I wanted cold meat for samisen.

Russ
It's ridiculous here too, although a little better since the supermarkets started restricting their opening hours and who could shop at certain times to the elderly or key workers. As for people who drive their dogs and their kids to out of town parks, I have no sympathy for them if they get caught and fined. Tippy has to make do with going round the nearby streets with a quick trip to the local field if there aren't too many dogs or people taking their kids for exercise. Actually Tippy is finding some rather good, different routes to walk, all ways I wouldn't normally take him., and he has no objection to doing zoomies round the garden and digging up the earth. The wild birds like that too - he disturbs all the seeds and digs up all the worms, and they fly in for a veritable feast.

Ten years ago to the day I got up early and drove to my favourite Welsh mountain, Cader Idris, and yomped to the top. I had overlooked the fact that the top section was still covered in snow and ice, so it was a pretty hairy climb without the appropriate kit. I was still home for lunch though.

Today, I was up at a similar time, frying off lamb shanks and vegetables to go into the slow cooker for eight hours for a late lunch. Where is my life going? :scratchhead:

Plans for today including hoping against hope we don't lose power. We have a weather system moving through and are expecting 40mph winds today.

With a fridge and a freezer full, the last thing we need is to lose power.

I have a batch of pita dough rising in the fridge. I put together a recipe for homemade gyro meat yesterday using 1 pound each of ground lamb and ground round (beef) plus onions, garlic, spices, got it formed and compressed into a nice tight log. It's in plastic wrap right now but will get wrapped in heavy duty foil later, go in the freezer for 2 hours and then onto the charcoal grill rotisserie. Tzatziki will get made somewhere along the way today.

I'm also going to whip up a batch of mascarpone brownies with the leftover mascarpone cheese from the coconut latkes recipe that won the challenge. Probably the best brownies we've ever had. It's always a toss-up whether to make the brownies or tiramisu when we have extra/leftover mascarpone.

Im not a big fan of tiramisu, so I vote brownies!

Oh you might by the way I make it. I don't make it quite the traditional way. We used to visit this high-end Italian restaurant that sadly closed due to owner/chef burnout. He actually figured out a way to make tiramisu light and fluffy. So did I once I had a place to start.

:woot: :woot::woot:
FINALLY finished refreshing and planting my herb pots and garden boxes.
I do have pictures and will post tomorrow. I still have to clean and put away my tools, clean myself (I am a dirty girl) then fix something easy for dinner.
Happy, happy, happy!!!

It's pouring down here, third day in a row, rain and inside in lock down. Have to go see a dr at 2 o clock for an assesment on my shoulder. We appear to have missed the virus scare, everyone's fit and healthy. Daughter is cooking roast chicken.

Russ

Today's plans include
  • Making soya yoghurt (done)
  • Making bread (also done)
  • Attacking garden with chainsaw (next to do)
  • Tidying garden
  • Weeding veg plot
  • Walk to post box
  • Parents coming over this pm (they always bring supplies :whistling: )
  • Hovering bedroom because something is triggering my asthma
  • Rewiring my Landcruiser (2 things need doing, the switch for the extra strip lights needs moving and the towing electrics need taking over from a round pin adaptor to a rectangular one so I can do a tip run on Sunday, only day they are open full stop even before all this)
  • Clean out chickens. At least in still getting 2-4 eggs a day despite it being the end of the season and them molting everywhere it looks like a massacre has occurred.
At least lockdown here doesn't mean you can't leave the house. I've only got a 600 hectare sheep farm for company and 2 more either side of me. Hard to police and even harder to actually get close to anything other than sheep, and that is nigh on impossible currently because the lands is missing sheep due to recovering from the drought. With that as a neighbour, I see no harm in leaving my house. Sometimes commonsense can prevail!

Sigh
My plan for dinner was surf and turf. Defrosted a rib eye and have crawfish tails from the weekend boil. Can't get in the kitchen. The ice maker in the freezer has not worked for some time. Not a problem I have ice trays . What has been a problem is water not draining during the defrost cycle. It puddles in the bottom of the freezer and forms a thick sheet of ice the overflows onto the floor. Every couple of days we have to break up and remove the ice. G ordered a repair kit. Came in this morning. At 4 p.m. he decided to work on the fridge. G has to get down on the floor to work on the machine. Not an easy task for someone his size. He aI lso has benign tremors in his hands. Finally he is very easily frustrated. Not a good combination for a job that requires flexibility, fine motor skills and patience. So 6:40 p.m. He thinks he has it. Putting it back together.
Please work, please work, please work!🙏
Late dinner tonight and the mess to clean up. 🙄

Sigh
My plan for dinner was surf and turf. Defrosted a rib eye and have crawfish tails from the weekend boil. Can't get in the kitchen. The ice maker in the freezer has not worked for some time. Not a problem I have ice trays . What has been a problem is water not draining during the defrost cycle. It puddles in the bottom of the freezer and forms a thick sheet of ice the overflows onto the floor. Every couple of days we have to break up and remove the ice. G ordered a repair kit. Came in this morning. At 4 p.m. he decided to work on the fridge. G has to get down on the floor to work on the machine. Not an easy task for someone his size. He aI lso has benign tremors in his hands. Finally he is very easily frustrated. Not a good combination for a job that requires flexibility, fine motor skills and patience. So 6:40 p.m. He thinks he has it. Putting it back together.
Please work, please work, please work!🙏
Late dinner tonight and the mess to clean up. 🙄

I feel for ya ElizabethB my fridge was Out a few months ago, I HAVE to have my fridge ice maker working. My kids bought me a portable plug in one as back up. No rum n coke without lotsa ice.??

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom