Recipe & Video Poğaça Recipe with Cheese & Dills - Turkish Focaccia

Hungry Man

Local time
7:50 PM
Website
www.youtube.com
Turkish Pogaca with Cheese and Dill

View: https://youtu.be/oj4d1j5t-Uc

This savory pastry is indispensable for tea parties in Turkey and can be eaten for breakfast, quick lunch or snacks.
The Turkish word poğaça comes from the Latin word "panis focacius", meaning bread baked on the hearth / fireplace and was inspired by the Italian focaccia during Ottoman times. Having different versions in many cuisines and countries, it's called "pogačice" in the Balkan countries, "pogatschen" in Austria and pagáče in Slovakia. It is known by similar names in other languages: pogácsa (Hungarian), pogace (Romanian).

Ingredients:
  • 500 g flour (4.5 cups)
  • 250 g yogurt (1 cup)
  • 50 g butter (3 tbsp)
  • 50 ml olive oil (3 tbsp)
  • 2 eggs
  • 30 g baking powder (2 tbsp)
  • 250 g Turkish white cheese or feta cheese
  • 40 g dill (1 bunch)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp granulated sugar
  • nigella seeds / sesame seeds (optional)

Instructions:
  1. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the salt, sugar and mix
  2. Make a well in the middle and add the yogurt
  3. Cut the butter (soft) into smaller pieces and add into the bowl together with 3 tbsp oil
  4. Crack open the eggs, add 1 yolk and 1 whole egg to the mix, keep 1 yolk in a bowl
  5. Add 2 tbsp baking powder
  6. Mix the ingredients until the butter is incorporated and knead until a soft dough forms
  7. The dough should be sticky and not dry
  8. Crumble the cheese into small pieces and finely chop the dill,
  9. Add the chopped dill and half of the cheese into the dough, set aside the rest of the cheese
  10. Gently mix and knead the dough until it’s smooth and the ingredients are combined
  11. Cover and let the dough rest for 15 minutes
  12. Lightly coat your hands with olive oil to avoid sticking
  13. Grab a lemon size piece from the dough and form with your hands and into a flat circle about the size of your palm
  14. Add a spoonful of the cheese mixture on one side of the dough, close the other side on top
  15. Seal the edges with your fingers to tightly close the dough
  16. Repeat with the rest and transfer to an oven tray with a baking paper
  17. Let them rest for 5 – 10 minutes
  18. Whisk the remaining egg yolk and brush the tops with the egg wash
  19. Optionally sprinkle with nigella / sesame seeds or make indents on the egg wash with fork
  20. Bake in the oven at 180°C / 360°F for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown
  21. Serve warm and enjoy

I love the look of this bread/pastry. The wonderful cracked walnut coloured topping....

I was thinking the same thing. Each one is a work of art. I don't normally make breads, but I will definitely have to make this soon. It might be the closest I get to visiting Istanbul anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom