Polenta, Grits & Cous Cous - do you love them or hate them?

I do like red beans and rice, but I like it heavy on the beans and light on the rice.

I have issues with things that have a texture like baby food, so no polenta or grits for me. Couscous I do like but like someone said it feels like you're eating nothing...

Couscous on its own, cooked plain can be a bit bland, but that's not how to eat it. It needs other stuff adding to make dishes such as tabbouleh, which is far from bland. I have no idea about grits. Polenta again depends on how you eat it. Cook it like baby food and that's what it will be like, but add some grated parmesan (or other cheese) to the mix, chill it then cut into chips (fries), coat in more parmesan or dried oregano then deep fry. Delicious.

Couscous on its own, cooked plain can be a bit bland, but that's not how to eat it. It needs other stuff adding to make dishes such as tabbouleh, which is far from bland. I have no idea about grits. Polenta again depends on how you eat it. Cook it like baby food and that's what it will be like, but add some grated parmesan (or other cheese) to the mix, chill it then cut into chips (fries), coat in more parmesan or dried oregano then deep fry. Delicious.

And served with sausages with some of their gravy, as well as with mushrooms, ragù, or even simply with sage.
I also prepare the sweet version and the cakes made with polenta are delicious - at least for me, since living in Lombardy, I see polenta in every corn(er).

Maybe without the cheese...

I'm a polentone, meat balls, Venison daube with sour cream, Wild boar butt braised in Croatian first frost fermented cabbage.

Back
Top Bottom