Recipe Polenta taragna patties with mushrooms

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:42 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Polenta-taragna-and-mushroom-patties-300x300.jpg

Polenta Taragna is a typical dish of the Lombard rustic tradition, born in the valleys of Valtellina and also Brescia and Bergamo area. It's prepared with a mixture of flour containing buckwheat flour, which gives it the typical dark color with a granular consistency to which then cheese and butter added during the cooking. Eaten as a single dish or, as often happens, accompanied by meat such as sausages, braised meats, cheese or mushrooms. In Veneto is server with baccalà.

I have a real weakness for polenta in general and when I go in the mountain, can never miss a warm and steaming Polenta Taragna plate.

I propose you these really simple patties to make, where there are two Lombardy ingredients: polenta Taragna and Taleggio cheese, a typical cheese of Val Taleggio, Bergamo area, a goodness, and then the mushrooms that combine really well.

Serves 6-8 patties, Preparation time 10 mins, Cooking time 20 mins
  • 200 g. Polenta Taragna
  • 30 g. unsalted butter
  • 50 g. Taleggio cheese (alternative: Gorgonzola cheese)
  • 250 g. Champignon mushrooms
  • 1 tbsp grated Parmesan
  • Extra virgin olive oil to taste
  • salt to taste
  • 6-8 aluminium cups
Method
  1. Bring 300 ml of salted water to the boil in a pot and pour into Polenta flour. Cook for about 5 mins, stirring regularly. When cooked, keeping Polenta over the heat, add unsalted butter and stir for another min or two.
  2. Clean mushrooms without washing them (just one dishcloth or a brush), peel the stems with a knife and go on to cut them into slices. Or use the mushrooms ready in the packet.
  3. Heat two tablespoons of Evoo in a frying-pan with a clove of garlic and a bunch of chopped parsley and then add champignon mushrooms and cook for about 10 minutes.
  4. Heat the oven to 200 C. For each aluminium cup, sprinkle the sides with a little butter.
  5. Put some mushroom on the bottom of each cup, then a few pieces of Taleggio cheese, a layer of Polenta Taragna (you can arrange it with the help of your fingers) and if you have space a little more mushroom and finish with another layer of polenta. Sprinkle with a little grated Parmesan and a drizzle of Evoo and go on as well for the other cups.
  6. Bake for about 5 minutes at 200 degrees.
  7. Remove from the oven and let them cool at room temperature (otherwise if you try to remove them from the baking paper they will break).
  8. Wait a few minutes, remove them from the cups and serve.

Last edited:
Polenta-taragna-and-mushroom-patties-300x300.jpg

Polenta Taragna is a typical dish of the Lombard rustic tradition, born in the valleys of Valtellina and in Brescia and Bergamo area. It's prepared with a mixture of flour containing buckwheat flour, which gives it the typical dark color with a granular consistency to which then the cheese and butter added during cooking. Eaten as a single dish or as often happens, accompanied by meat such as sausages, braised meats, but also mushrooms.

I have a real weakness for polenta in general and when I go in the mountain, can never miss a warm and steaming Polenta Taragna plate.

I propose you these really simple patties to make, where there are two Lombard ingredients such as polenta Taragna and Taleggio cheese, a typical cheese of Lombardy (north of the region, Val Taleggio, Bergamo area) that is a goodness! And then the mushrooms that combine really well ... perfect to serve as starter.

Serves 6-8 patties, Preparation time 10 mins, Cooking time 20 mins

• 200 g. Polenta Taragna
  • 30 g. unsalted butter
  • 50 g. Taleggio cheese (alternative: Gorgonzola cheese)
  • 250 g. Champignon mushrooms
  • 1 tbsp grated Parmesan
  • Extra virgin olive oil to taste
  • salt to taste
  • 6-8 aluminium cups

Method

Bring 300 ml of salted water to the boil in a pot and pour into Polenta flour. Cook for about 5 mins, stirring regularly. When cooked, keeping Polenta over the heat, add unsalted butter and stir for another min or two.

Clean mushrooms without washing them (just one dishcloth or a brush), peel the stems with a knife and go on to cut them into slices. Or use the mushrooms ready in the packet.

Heat two tablespoons of Evoo in a frying-pan with a clove of garlic and a bunch of chopped parsley and then add champignon mushrooms and cook for about 10 minutes.

Heat the oven.

For each aluminium cup, sprinkle the sides with a little butter.

Then put some mushroom on the bottom, then a few pieces of Taleggio cheese, a layer of Polenta Taragna (you can arrange it with the help of your fingers) and if you have space a little more mushroom and finish with another layer of polenta. Sprinkle with a little grated Parmesan and a drizzle of Evoo and go on as well for the other cups.

Bake for about 5 minutes to 200 degrees.

Remove from the oven and let them cool at room temperature (otherwise if you try to remove them from the baking paper they will broke).

Wait a few minutes, remove them from the cups and serve.

Lovely! Unlike you I've never got on with polenta but these look so delicious I would try them.

Lovely! Unlike you I've never got on with polenta but these look so delicious I would try them.

Thank you @morning glory ! Oh give them a try, trust me, they don't disappoint you! And then taleggio with mushrooms give to polenta taragna a special taste...mmm how much I love it!

@MypinchofItaly

Definitely, divinely delicious .. I shall order some sustainable bio Polenta .. I like the coarse grain verses the fine grain .. And love the plating idea with the aluminum ramkins ..

Surely sublime exquisitely ..

Thank you very much for posting ..

Good night ..

I will have a go at making these - how would you serve them? Would this be a starter or main course? With salad perhaps?

I usually serve these patties as starter, they have the right little shape for this. But if you want to serve them as main accompanied with salad, why not?

@MypinchofItaly

In English a Patty or Patties are flattened circular shaped " somethings " ..

The polenta creations would be "mounds" or ramekins or like a " Polenta Savory Muffin" as they are created in aluminum ramkeins and could also be prepared in earthenware ramekins too ..

The shape is different than a flat Patty ..

Awaiting a delivery of Bio polenta .. So, I can prepare these .. Simply a marvel ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

At this point I have an Amletic doubt.....
Is thus correct call them patties? I haven't find a satisfied translation for "tortini"......

Probably not patties. But I'm not sure 'muffin' is right as they are upside down compared to muffins. 'Mounds' sounds a bit strange. I'm really not sure! 'Moulds' might be better. I'll have a think. Perhaps other members might have an idea...

Back
Top Bottom