Poll: Would you eat a fertilised but un-incubated egg?

Would you eat a fertilised but un-incubated egg?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
yep - that is quite vile... no I would not eat that.... I wouldn't eat an egg with an obvious chick developing either but with my chooks, the eggs albeit fertile now, have never been sat on to start to develop.

As an aside, I know with the survival courses both my OH and I have done, we have eaten what we needed to at the time. And at the end of the day, we decided that we would eat what was needed to survive in a survival situation if needed (though on our aborted RTW cycle tour we went hungry several times due to lack of food available, we never decided to trap anything, you need time and patience for that and we could cycle to shops far faster and with a greater chance of food at the end than trapping anything). It is all very well living to your principles, but mine are that I don't agree with current farming practices such as raising livestock to 11 weeks old only to kill it for food because that is when it tastes best... etc. I have no issues with picking my wits against some wild animal (or for that matter road kill, my principle there is that we should be a lot more careful driving, but accidents will happen and it is a waste if the meat goes to waste once the animal is dead, as it often does).though the chances are I would not catch much other than pheasants which I seem to be able to attract quite easily.

The Poussin my parent's friend served were not small chickens. They were a very definite 1 each served with much veg (luckily for me not eating the chicks). Looking it up, they are slaughtered before they are 28 days old and weigh 400-750g! which given I have a 2 year old bird that weighs less than that means they must also be not allowed much exercise and also being meat birds will have a tendency to put weight on fast. Chickens (both sexes here) can live for 8-10 years naturally, so killing something for food when it is less than 4 weeks old is inhumane to me. One of my birds is in her 6th laying season which means she could be anywhere upto 7 years old already (and she is still laying something like 3-4 eggs a week and it is only just the start of the season, so she may lay more frequently as the weather warms up - the whole of this last week has been frosty nights, so that slows them down again).
I absolutely agree regarding the chicken life cycle issues and I've made the point somewhere else a while back.

Back
Top Bottom