Popcorn

I used to love homemade popcorn done in butter rather than oil offer air popped. But that was before the dairy allergy really kicked in. Until then we used goat's milk butter which was excellent and didn't put me in anaphylactic shock.

Now we buy popcorn. The only one we like is the one called "slightly salted, slightly sweet". Is excellent and very low calorie. I haven't been able to replicate it sadly.

Very occasionally we'll try a different one. Salted caramel is one we are ok with and a Christmas time one only that we like is tbe cinnamon popcorn.

"slightly salted, slightly sweet" sounds like the popcorn we discovered on a vacation to Myrtle Beach America many years ago. We were walking along the beach boardwalk and came across a stand and bought some. We went back a couple of more times and I finally asked the lady how they made it. She reluctantly wrote out instructions only after I begged because we had nothing like that in Germany. Here is what she wrote,

3 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/4 to 1/2 cup white granulated sugar, to taste
1 teaspoon salt

Heat the oil as you normally would and as soon as it's hot enough add the rest of the ingredients and stir to coat well. Use 1/4 cup of sugar if you like it just slightly sweet. Shake the bejesus (her word) out of the pot when the popping starts. When you hear the popping begin to slow remove the pan from heat. (you don't what to burn the popcorn. Dump the popcorn out onto a baking sheet with bakpapier on it. It will crisp up as it cools.

Back
Top Bottom