Recipe Pork and ginger pot stickers

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:39 PM
2020-06-06-18-41-59-jpg-jpg.jpg

Pork and ginger pot stickers (pictured above, the crescent-shapes on the right)

Adapted from Ming Tsai, Blue Ginger

4 cups finely chopped Napa cabbage
3 tsp salt, divided
1/2 pound ground pork
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
1-1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh garlic
2 Tbsp soy sauce or Tamari
2 Tbsp Toasted sesame oil
1 egg, lightly beaten

Dumpling wrappers, I get a package of 50 at the Asian market.

Dipping sauce of your choice

Mix the cabbage and 1-1/2 tsp salt in a large bowl and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes. Place the cabbage in a clean (no fabric softener) dishcloth/large piece of cheesecloth, or doubled paper towels, fold over to enclose, then squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible. Then, mix the cabbage with the remaining ingredients.

Lay out 4-6 wrappers, keeping remainder covered under damp paper towel. Start out with just a few. I'm fast enough now that I fill a dozen at a time, but you don't want the wrappers to dry out. Fill a small ramekin with water. Using your finger, dip it into the water and "paint" around the edge of each wrapper. Place about 1 Tbsp of filling in the center of each wrapper. I use a levered scoop. Pick up opposite sides and lightly stick together in center to make a half moon shape. Then, starting at 1 edge of the half-moon shape, make a little pleat with 1 side of the wrapper. Try to make 3 pleats between the bottom and the top where you have lightly stuck them together. Then make a pleat at the top, then 3 more on the other side for a total of 7. Try to make an odd number of pleats, it's an Asian thing for good luck I think. I've gotten good enough I make 11 pleats for each one, which is the magic number from what I've read, but I went from 7 to 9 and now to 11.

Once you have the dumpling made, sit it on a parchment or silpat and cover with a damp cloth. Make the remainder, keeping them covered.

To cook, heat a large, 12 inch or so, non-stick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Pour in about 1/2 to 3/4 cup water. add 1-1/2 Tbsp vege or canola oil. Place the dumplings in the skillet, making sure they aren't touching, cover and cook for 7-9 minutes, adding water in 1/4 cup increments if needed so that there's always some water in the skillet. Then, uncover, allow water to cook away and let the bottoms of the pot stickers brown. Remove and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.

Dipping sauces can be found in the Dim Sum Thread.

Back
Top Bottom