Pork Chops Glazes or Marinades

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
6:12 AM
I don't often buy pork chops as I find them a bit boring. However, they were on offer the other day so I bought enough to make a meal. Can anyone suggest a glaze or marinade that works well with pork for me to try to make my pork chops a little more interesting?

Honey soy and cumin or lemon fresh sage and garlic ,just two simple ideas with store cupboard ingredients

Crushed garlic, grated ginger, soy sauce and orange juice. If you have a fresh orange, add the zest as well. Leave overnight if you can.

Pork chops are often on sale cheap lately. I've found myself buying them (even different cuts) frequently. Maybe too frequently... I've been trying to come up with interesting ways to make them as well, so my family doesn't get burned out on them until the other meats come down in price a bit.

One simple idea is to make "breading" from Parmesan cheese and your favorite herbs and spices. Then brush the chops with olive oil, dredge in the cheese mixture, and bake until golden and crisp outside, done to your liking inside. I usually go 400 F for 20 minutes (preheated oven) for smallish, boneless chops, flipping half way through. Probably go twice as long for bone in.... or grab the meat thermometer.

I buy a lot of pork roast, chops ...my kids love pork. Pork I find more inexpensive than other meats, especially when it goes on sale. I'll stock up on chops. I love to bread the pork chops and fry them. It's quite easy and very tasty. If you pound them out thin you have schnitzel. A great marinade I use is lime juice, cumin, cilantro, oil, garlic, chili powder and paprika. Marinade pork chops for 2-3 hours and then throw them on the grill. I would also suggest using soy sauce, thai chili sauce, garlic and ginger as a marinade.

I buy a lot of pork roast, chops ...my kids love pork. Pork I find more inexpensive than other meats, especially when it goes on sale. I'll stock up on chops. I love to bread the pork chops and fry them. It's quite easy and very tasty. If you pound them out thin you have schnitzel. A great marinade I use is lime juice, cumin, cilantro, oil, garlic, chili powder and paprika. Marinade pork chops for 2-3 hours and then throw them on the grill. I would also suggest using soy sauce, thai chili sauce, garlic and ginger as a marinade.

I have seasoned mine as you described, but I have never tried making a marinade from those ingredients. That's a really good idea. The combination of those flavors is very nice, especially with pork, for some reason. I then make a citrus rice dish to go along with them. It's basically a bit of butter, some lime juice, and some garlic and onion added to rice, but it's tasty and goes well with this.

When I'm totally at loss with what to do with some pork chops, I usually just lightly bread them on top and bake them in the oven. I just season them on both sides with some garlic pepper seasoning, then I get some seasoned bread crumbs and toss them with a little oil or butter with a fork until it's fully incorporated with the breadcrumbs. Then top the pork chops with the mixture and bake. I don't bother breading the entire chop since they just get soggy on the bottom.

A glaze that I normally use on pork loin could possibly work on pork chops as well - just some apricot preserves mixed with some spicy brown mustard or dijon mustard, and a little garlic powder and fresh ground black pepper. Gently heat it in a sauce pan until everything is incorporated, and baste it on the meat as it's cooking.

Another recipe, which I believe is popular in New Jersey, is to saute the pork chops with some jarred cherry peppers and bell peppers, along with a splash of vinegar and a pinch of sugar. You can find recipes for this all over the web, there's a few more ingredients I'm not remembering off the top of my head, but it's basically a sweet and sour type pepper sauce.

You could also do a Marsala sauce with mushrooms, marsala wine, shallot, parsley and butter.

See, I would try all of the ones you listed, @OhioTom76. My family would only eat the first one (I make something similar, which I call "oven fried pork chops"). The apricot sounds great to me, especially with pork. My family... "we don't like sweet stuff with meat." Picky, picky, picky.

I heat up a pan, melt some butter then add the garlic and sprigs of thyme. Sear the pork chops on both sides enough to caramelize and give it some color. I will finish it off with salt and pepper.

This is one of my favorite recipes. Dr. Pepper Pork Chops. I have found that it doesn't matter what kind of soda you use. It always comes out tasting great. I have made it with Coke, Pepsi and Ginger Ale.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/214207/sweet-simmered-pork-chops/
I noticed this recipe was really precise in using a thermometer to measure the meat temperatures when cooking. Do you do this @ L_B? I don't even have a meat thermometer...

I don't often buy pork chops as I find them a bit boring. However, they were on offer the other day so I bought enough to make a meal. Can anyone suggest a glaze or marinade that works well with pork for me to try to make my pork chops a little more interesting?

Sometimes, I like to experiment and use whatever I have on hand. With my pork chops, I will mix various things together. For instance, I like a sweet and sour taste. So I will use brown sugar, rosemary, onions, and lemon juice. I will also add salt and pepper. I experiment and don't really measure. I mixed until I get it to a thick consistency and spread it on my chops.

I'm making this today. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Pork Chops with Mustard Thyme Gravy Pillsbury.com

Servings: 6
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard Such as Gulden’s or French’s
  • 6 pork chops, about ¾ inch thick
  • ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1 jar low sodium (12oz) pork gravy
  • ½ cup cold water
  • 3 tablespoons all purpose flour

Steps
  1. Spray 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread mustard on 1 side of each pork chop; sprinkle with dried thyme. Place pork in cooker. Pour gravy over pork.
  2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 to 7 hours.
  3. Remove pork to platter; keep warm. Strain cooking liquid into 2-quart saucepan; heat to boiling. Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir water, flour and salt until well blended; stir into boiling liquid. Boil and stir 1 minute. Serve gravy with pork. Garnish with fresh thyme. Taste and adjust seasonings to your taste.
Notes
  • this will freeze well too. so you will be able to put some away for later.

I sprinkle dried thyme on each side with a tiny bit of S & P, when they're on the grill. Everyone likes them in our family.

Back
Top Bottom