Posture when eating a meal

Local time
4:37 AM
Do you believe that the posture you hold while eating has an effect on your health or digestion? How many of you have found yourself standing up to eat either breakfast, lunch or dinner because you were in a rush to finish it and go somewhere in a hurry? Or maybe you would eat part of it sitting, and the rest of it standing up? When we are in a hurry, we seem to think that standing up to eat makes us get through faster. Maybe this works for some people - I don't know.

I like to be sitting comfortably somewhere when having my meals, whether it is at the dinner table or on the couch in front of the television. If I find myself in a hurry, I tend to leave back part of the meal, whatever it is I am eating at the time. I do not like the idea of standing up to eat though, except I was at a cocktail party, of course. In any case, I do not like having to eat too quickly, rather sitting or standing.

Sat down is preferable when eating. That includes if I'm eating in the field to a five star hotel.

I've also got used to the other side, that being taking "Running Breaks", where any meal is eaten as & when able. Mostly done in the workplace.

Do you believe that the posture you hold while eating has an effect on your health or digestion? How many of you have found yourself standing up to eat either breakfast, lunch or dinner because you were in a rush to finish it and go somewhere in a hurry? Or maybe you would eat part of it sitting, and the rest of it standing up? When we are in a hurry, we seem to think that standing up to eat makes us get through faster. Maybe this works for some people - I don't know.

I like to be sitting comfortably somewhere when having my meals, whether it is at the dinner table or on the couch in front of the television. If I find myself in a hurry, I tend to leave back part of the meal, whatever it is I am eating at the time. I do not like the idea of standing up to eat though, except I was at a cocktail party, of course. In any case, I do not like having to eat too quickly, rather sitting or standing.

Oh, lets do supine. Feed me those grapes...

I believe that a good body posture is very important when we are eating a meal. A proper sitting position encourages our body and head the right flow of food from our mouth to our esophagus down to our intestines for better digestion. I am always comfortable eating my meals in a proper sitting position which improves my digestion after every meal I had.

I heard about posture when eating and dismissed it as an old wives' tale. Now that you bring it up again here, I might actually start to take it more seriously. Like seriously.:D

My father would reprimand us when we eat with our feet on the chair. Little children used to that, right? What my father would say is that we may have indigestion when eating with a bad posture. So I would sit straight to show him the correct posture that he taught us. It may be a myth only about that indigestion but now I realize that it may be true because my husband's problem is indigestion and it may be due to bad posture when eating.

I definitely prefer to sit down and eat but sometimes I just honestly don't have the time (that sounds horrible, I know - I need to manage my time and prioritize things better).
Back to my point of getting hangry, sometimes I'll be doing stuff around the house and trying to keep my little one entertained and away from anything that will get her injured, and before I know it it's past lunchtime and I haven't eaten. So I'll just fix myself something quick and eat it when standing.

I get about a 3 out of 10 for my posture when eating :oops:

I'm probably the one person in the world who has trouble eating at a table. Sitting stiffly in an upright chair makes it feel hard for me to swallow, and like I can feel every piece of food go through my system as it goes, which isn't pleasant. I eat sitting on the couch when I'm not busy, or standing at the counter when I am.

I'm probably the one person in the world who has trouble eating at a table. Sitting stiffly in an upright chair makes it feel hard for me to swallow, and like I can feel every piece of food go through my system as it goes, which isn't pleasant. I eat sitting on the couch when I'm not busy, or standing at the counter when I am.
it must cause a few stares when you go to restaurants! :happy:

Often I find myself standing up to eat as I am eating on the run. Eating like this also lets me forget that I ate so I go back and eat again because eating on the run is more of a snack in my mind than a meal.

When I eat outside there are times that I eat standing and very quick because I am in such a hurry. Yes I heard that your posture can have an effect on the assimilation of food. I have not observed anything unusual though when I eat standing or lazily on the couch.

I have a bad habit of eating while standing up although some doctors say this is actually a good practice. I don't fill myself up when I'm having a meal and so I get hungry throughout the day and just grab snacks when I get some. But usually for dinner I have to sit still on a table and I think I have pretty good posture since I attended Sunday School for table manners. LOL it's a real thing

I generally think I have bad posture and it really has little or nothing to do with eating. I'll sit sometimes but because I am always on the move I'll be standing or maybe crouching on the counter while I grab a bite. When I much younger I used to joke that I wanted bigger calves so standing eating would send the food right down to my calves.

I

I am not sure it affects your digestion, but being present for, and really tasting your food I think makes you more conscious of what you are eating and when. It is important to try to savor your food. The slower and the more conscious you can be of eating I think helps you eat less...and commune with the food. You feel fed, and less likely to grab something else.

Back
Top Bottom