Posture when eating a meal

I generally think I have bad posture and it really has little or nothing to do with eating. I'll sit sometimes but because I am always on the move I'll be standing or maybe crouching on the counter while I grab a bite. When I much younger I used to joke that I wanted bigger calves so standing eating would send the food right down to my calves.

Standing or crouching on the counter? I now have this really weird image in my mind...

When I much younger I used to joke that I wanted bigger calves so standing eating would send the food right down to my calves.

I still hear mature people these days talking about food going into your legs and feet when you stand and eat. I never believed in this because I do not know how that would happen. I believe that food is distributed evenly throughout the body whether one is standing or sitting. However, standing to eat gives the impression of one being in a hurry, and I don't like the idea of eating food rapidly. That may contribute to digestive issues. Furthermore, when eating with a knife and fork, it is necessary to be in a seated position. If you are standing, then you can only use a fork and it may be necessary to use a knife to cut certain things in your plate. Snacking on things like nuts, potato chips, grapes, etc., is different though.

My OH has a bad acid reflux problem that swells his throat and makes it feel like there in an obstruction. He recently got his throat scoped and the doctor told him to sit perfectly upright when he eats and not to do anything else while he eats except to concentrate on the meal. Posture is important when eating.

He recently got his throat scoped and the doctor told him to sit perfectly upright when he eats and not to do anything else while he eats except to concentrate on the meal. Posture is important when eating.

This speaks not only to posture, but to doing other things while eating, like reading, surfing the net or watching television while eating. I too believe that it is good to focus on what one is eating rather than being distracted by other things as mentioned here. I do watch television at times while eating, but not as much these days as before. So, while having a good posture is good, concentration also plays a part here.

I still hear mature people these days talking about food going into your legs and feet when you stand and eat. I never believed in this because I do not know how that would happen. I believe that food is distributed evenly throughout the body whether one is standing or sitting. However, standing to eat gives the impression of one being in a hurry, and I don't like the idea of eating food rapidly. That may contribute to digestive issues. Furthermore, when eating with a knife and fork, it is necessary to be in a seated position. If you are standing, then you can only use a fork and it may be necessary to use a knife to cut certain things in your plate. Snacking on things like nuts, potato chips, grapes, etc., is different though.

The food going to your calves has to be some old "unwise" tale created as amusement. I don't believe that people actually believed that, Posture is important eating and generally. It's just one of those things that some don't pay a lot of attention to perhaps to their detriment.

When I much younger I used to joke that I wanted bigger calves so standing eating would send the food right down to my calves.

This reminded me, my mother and aunt were convinced for MANY years that you didn't gain weight if you ate standing up. Then couldn't understand why they weren't losing weight.

Waitplate Tips for Perfect Eating Posture:
  • Correct seating and positioning of the body while consuming meals is important because it improves both the enjoyment and safety of the meal. This facilitates better digestion and eating awareness. To enable the upper body or trunk to be stable the feet must have a firm footing so they can bear weight as you eat.
  • Sit close to a table to prevent you from having to stretch forward to reach your meal. This prevents hunching forward and pressure on the abdomen.
  • Align your ear, shoulders and hips while eating and bring your food up to your mouth. This will encourage better control of head, neck and muscles in the tongue, jaw and mouth.
  • If you do have to eat in a chair or sofa, use a tray and sit up so your feet are firmly on the ground taking the weight of your trunk. Put cushions behind your back for support if needed. Keep your knees level with your hips and sit as far back as possible. Sitting up straight allows your food to digest uninterrupted.
  • Try to stay seated upright for 10 to 20 minutes after the meal to help prevent symptoms of heartburn, indigestion or cramp.
  • Avoid tight clothing around your stomach.
  • Eat in good lighting. People tend to eat more if the lighting is low. (Think restaurants)
  • Avoid talking while chewing.
  • Really think about your eating posture at each meal. Sometimes your posture is a reflection of how you feel about yourself at the time of the meal.
  • Avoid eating larger meal when you are upset, tired or stressed. Your eating posture may reflect this.
  • Lastly be mindful of your eating posture. Maintain a sense of humility and elegance while consuming your food. Become a conscientious eater, grateful that there is food in front of you at all!

Back
Top Bottom