Potato: A vegetable or a Starch?

sorrowscall

Veteran
Local time
5:36 AM
So, at the moment I work in a resteraunt. One of my jobs is to peel the potatoes and I ended up asking the cook if a potato is a starch, a vegetable, or both. Instead of just getting a single answer from the cook, I kept getting different answers from a lot of my co-workers who happened to be there at the time. I know it's a silly question, and that I should know the answer. I'm actually pretty sure I did this morning, but now I'm not so sure anymore.

For years I have been classifying potato as a starch. However, over the past few years, I have been hearing it referred to as a vegetable. I tend to put potatoes in a class with pasta and rice, not with vegetables. When I do cream potatoes, it is like the main meal with the meat and vegetables added as side dishes. I am not quite sure why it is referred to as a vegetable. I guess this would apply to sweet potato as well.

Over here, potato is classified as a vegetable. This reminds me of the argument about the tomato whether it is a vegetable or a fruit. But I agree with some posts that potato is considered a substitute for rice or bread. When we have steak, we normally have mashed potatoes and when I get lazy to mash then it would be french fries.. no more rice, no more bread.

I can't believe this is a thing. Potatoes are vegetables along with other root crops like sweet potatoes and taros. It's a starchy vegetable but it's still definitely a vegetable.

Back
Top Bottom