Recipe Potato and Mushroom Bhaji

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
8:53 AM
Note: I prepared this "experimental" recipe for the mushroom "Cookingbites Challenge" but unfortunately it did not come up to my expectations. I'm posting it on the offchance that a member may be able to advise where I went wrong or where improvements could be made?

Ingredients.

150 gms Potato, scrubbed and cubed.
3 tblsp Olive oil
1 Onion, chopped
5 Garlic cloves, crushed
½ tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Ground coriander seeds
1 tsp Ground cumin seeds
½ tsp Chilli powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tblsp Tomato puree
150 gms Button mushrooms

Method.

Par boil the cubed potatoes (about 10 minutes), drain and allow to cool.

Heat the oil in a wok and brown the cubed potatoes on all sides. Remove the potatoes, drain and keep aside.

In the same oil, fry the onions and garlic until golden. Add the turmeric, coriander, cumin and chilli powder and stir fry for around 5 minutes, adding a little water if the spices dry out.

Add the salt and tomato puree and mix well.

Add the browned potatoes and mushrooms and stir until thoroughly mixed. Sprinkle over about 2 tblsp of water, cover and simmer for around 10 minutes.

When you say 'did not come up to expectations' what was the problem? It looks OK, though a bit dry. Some curry dishes are meant to be dry though.

One thing I will say is that an intense tomato taste and mushrooms isn't the best of combinations even though it is often seen on pizza, for example. In the latter case the cheese tends to 'bring it together'.

Were you going for something akin to Pav Bhaji? because what I see online for Bhaji is either a fritter of some kind, or Pav Bhaji which seems to be more mashed and curry like.
Assuming you meant the latter...
  • Would fresh mushrooms have helped? they tend to yield some water when cooked, which might help.
  • Maybe dicing the mushrooms and only leaving a few sliced or whole for presentation purposes?
  • Could benefit from a healthy dose of ghee or regular butter

Would fresh mushrooms have helped?

Unfortunately, fresh mushrooms in Thailand are difficult or even impossible to find for Yorky. And I suspect a lot of the disappointment here is due to the rather mild taste of tinned mushrooms. Also - since tinned mushrooms are already cooked they are not really going to take on much flavour from the spices.

what I see online for Bhaji is either a fritter of some kind, or Pav Bhaji which seems to be more mashed and curry like.

Bhaji has two slightly different meanings as you say and one of them is an Indian dish of fried or sautéed vegetables often in a curry sauce.

When you say 'did not come up to expectations' what was the problem? It looks OK, though a bit dry. Some curry dishes are meant to be dry though.

It was "heavy".

Possibly too much puree and/or too much spice. The potatoes were overcooked which was my fault. Possibly par boiling for 5 minutes would be adequate?

It was "heavy".

Possibly too much puree and/or too much spice. The potatoes were overcooked which was my fault. Possibly par boiling for 5 minutes would be adequate?

I think too much purée and maybe add more liquid so there is more of a curry gravy. I don't know re the potatoes. Your cooking time in the recipe sounds right to me, though it would depend on the size they are cubed and the variety of potato.

Back
Top Bottom