Recipe Potato farls

Elawin

Guru
Local time
12:01 AM
Not my own recipe, I'm afraid. This one was on the newsletter which came with my Riverford veg box this week.

"Potato Farls

Serves 4, prep time 20 mins, cook 20 mins.

These traditional Gaelic potato breads are best made with floury or all-round spuds. They can be served with a cooked breakfast, or, for a light supper, try with shredded leaks and bacon or poached eggs (or both). They're also good with butter and jam.

500 g potatoes, peeled and sliced
50 g butter
1 tsp salt
100 g plain (all-purpose) flour, plus extra for dusting

Put the potatoes in a pan of cold salted water. Heat until boiling then cook until tender (about 10 mins). Drain and mash. Stir in the butter, salt and flour. Combine into a slightly sticky dough. Leave the dough to cool a little. On a lightly floured work surface, gently roll the mixture into a circle, about the size of a large dinner plate. Lightly dust with flour and cut into eight triangles. Dust the inside of a non-stick frying pan with a little flour. Heat over a low-medium heat until the flour is just starting to colour. Add the potato triangles. Fry each one for about 3 mins on each side, until golden. If your pan isn't big enough to hold them all, cook in batches and keep warm."

Because I was only making enough for me, I used a quarter of the above ingredients, rolled the dough into a circle the size of a tea plate, cut it into two, and folded the two halves. I also cheated and used a normal stainless steel frying pan wiped with a drop of oil because I wanted to use the pan to cook the rest of my meal. And I didn't use or add any salt :laugh:

Verdict: Easy and quick to make. Tasted gorgeous - I've only ever had supermarket ones before. Can't wait to try them out with jam :D

I suppose you could add ingredients to them too - chopped chives or other herbs might be interesting. Or add spices perhaps. I may experiment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom