Potato Talk

Ok, I've got one more potato example, this one from Norway, - Potato Lefsa or Lefse. It's a simple alternative to Spanish tortillas, made with flour, potato, butter and cream or milk. It is flat griddled and if you find it in stores, sold in squarish sheets. That should tell you that it can be refrigerated, but serving it hot off the griddle, is preferable.

I've read claims that Lefsa is only served on Holidays, but that's bunk. Lefsa is used at mealtimes as a sort of handle on food. Instead of using silverware or directly, fingers, you grip food or sop things up with Lefsa. I've found it to be served more commonly with breakfast, but may be served with lunch and supper, too. It can be used as a wrap.

I really like Lefsa, but you can't find it in stores where I live now. California is not Minnesota. I would have to make my own.

Our go to potato is agria, boiling and mash or even roast or fries. Yummy chips. We have lots of choices, just personal taste. I buy direct from the farm. Kumara or sweet tatter we have in about 4 choices? I prefer red. We are growing yams ATM.

Russ

Our go to potato is agria, boiling and mash or even roast or fries. Yummy chips. We have lots of choices, just personal taste. I buy direct from the farm. Kumara or sweet tatter we have in about 4 choices? I prefer red. We are growing yams ATM.

Russ
Good day Russers, I have waited till you were back as normal to use your spices that you generously sent around the world for us. I trust you had a splendid time at the track mate.

Good day Russers, I have waited till you were back as normal to use your spices that you generously sent around the world for us. I trust you had a splendid time at the track mate.

Not quite normal but a lay day today, until 2pm and we start over again. Look forward to pics mate.

Russ

Ok, I've got one more potato example, this one from Norway, - Potato Lefsa or Lefse. It's a simple alternative to Spanish tortillas, made with flour, potato, butter and cream or milk. It is flat griddled and if you find it in stores, sold in squarish sheets. That should tell you that it can be refrigerated, but serving it hot off the griddle, is preferable.

I've read claims that Lefsa is only served on Holidays, but that's bunk. Lefsa is used at mealtimes as a sort of handle on food. Instead of using silverware or directly, fingers, you grip food or sop things up with Lefsa. I've found it to be served more commonly with breakfast, but may be served with lunch and supper, too. It can be used as a wrap.

I really like Lefsa, but you can't find it in stores where I live now. California is not Minnesota. I would have to make my own.
Lefse is a common name for potato-based thin flatbread in Norway. The product has made its way to the US along Scandinavian (and Finnish) settlers. The Finnish name is "rieska" or "perunarieska". The trade name "Lefse" usually stands for a rectangular or square piece of bread and "Lompe" is a round one with more potato mash in the dough. This comment tells the history of this dish in detail. In Norway, "Lompe" is more common than "Lefse" and served in e.g. winter sports events with "pølse"; a frankfurter type sausage.

Lefse/perunarieska/thin potato bread. (Ingredients: 300 ml/~1,3 cup mashed potatoes, 1 tsp salt, 1 egg, 300 ml/~1,3 cup APF/plain flour and maybe a pinch of aniseed or caraway. Preparation: Mix, pat on parchment paper, bake for 15 min in the middle part of the oven in 250°C/~480°F)
rie.jpg

Photo and recipe source

Here is a recipe link for thinner breakfast Lefses, Norwegian thin flatbreads of tortilla-like "Lompe" type.

Last edited:
I'll share a typical Dutch Indonesian potato dish, called 'Kroket kentang' it's a croquette made from mashed potatoes filled with a spicy beef mixture. The Dutch part is the croquette/potato, and the Indonesian part is the spicyness.

The article I am sharing is with a chicken filling (milder version) because I can't find a proper English article on this with the spicy beef version. I shall proceed to post my own version here one day.

https://mindfullofcooking.com/kroket-kentang/

Back
Top Bottom