Serves 4-6

Ingredients
AP flour, for dusting
Two 6oz balls of sourdough pizza dough
Olive oil, for brushing & drizzling
1/4 cup crème fraiche
1/4 pound red potatoes, cut into 1/16th-inch slices
1/4 cup lightly packed fresh rosemary leaves
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest (preferably from a Meyer lemon)
Sea salt & pepper

Directions
On a lightly floured work surface, roll or stretch each piece of dough into a 6-by-12-inch rectangle. Lightly brush the dough with olive oil, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let stand at room temperature until puffed, about 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, set a pizza stone in the bottom of the oven and turn the oven to 500F, allowing at least 30 minutes for the stone to preheat.

Work with 1 dough at a time. If the dough has shrunk, gently stretch it back to shape and transfer it to a floured pizza peel. Spread 2 tablespoons of the crème fraiche on the dough and arrange half of the potato slices on top, overlapping them slightly. Sprinkle half of the rosemary and lemon zest over the potatoes and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with the salt and pepper.

Slide the dough onto the hot pizza stone and bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown and crisp. Slide onto a work surface, cut into 2-inch strips, and serve. Repeat with remaining dough and toppings.

Recipe courtesy of Food & Wine Staff Favorites cookbook

Challenge entry: The CookingBites recipe challenge: potatoes

I was just going by the word flambee, as it's also an acceptable alternative spelling for flambe. Thought you were going to set potatoes on fire when I saw the title, maybe using a vodka made from potatoes, or even some homemade "shine" using potatoes. :D

I’ll add this, the next one of these I make will have cheese, onion, and ham (or bacon) on it.

I was also confused by the word flambée in the title for the same reason as medtran49. It usually means using alcohol whis is set alight to. However I did find another example of it being used in a similar recipe to the above. I think it is a particular French usage of 'flambée'

Tarte Flambée au Munster Recipe

Anyway, it looks absolutely gorgeous. Great photos too.

Last edited:
I found this regarding the name:

The name of the dishes varies in local dialects; it is called Flàmmeküeche, or Flàmmaküacha in Alsatian, or Flammkuche in Lorraine Franconian - compare (standard-)German Flammkuchen. All these names translate as "pie baked in the flames". Contrary to what the direct translation would suggest, tarte flambée is not flambéed but is cooked in a wood-fire oven. - Wikipedia

Back
Top Bottom