Recipe Poussin with Vine Leaves and Grapes

Discussion in 'Meat and Poultry' started by morning glory, Apr 16, 2019.

1. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

A classic French dish similar to this is made with quails. Well, I couldn't get hold of any quails so substituted poussin which works very well. I find that one poussin serves 2 - but it depends on your appetite. Serve with mashed potatoes to soak up the sauce.

fullsizeoutput_44b7.jpeg

Ingredients (per poussin)
    1 poussin
    4 vine leaves
    3 or 4 thin slices of streaky bacon
    100ml chicken stock
    25g butter
    2 tablespoons of brandy
    1 small glass red wine
    1 large sprig of thyme
    6 juniper berries
    10 black seedless grapes,
    1 small glass red wine

Method:
    1. Preheat the oven to 180C
    2. Add the butter to a pan, add the poussin and turn until golden brown on all sides
    3. Pour on the brandy and ignite.
    4. Allow the poussin to cool slightly and then wrap in the vine leaves, wrapping the bacon around the leaves and securing with toothpicks if necessary.
    5. Deglaze the pan in which you browned the poussin with the red wine.
    6. Reduce by half and add the stock.
    7. Place the poussin in an oven proof dish and pour over the stock. Add the grapes, thyme and juniper berries
    8. Cover with foil (or pan lid) and cook in the oven for 45 mins.
    9. Remove the poussin and allow to rest whilst you strain the stock (reserving the grapes) and reduce by a third. You can whisk in some butter at this point if you wish.
    10. To serve, unwrap the vine leaves and surround with the grapes. Pour over a little of the sauce and serve the rest in a jug on the side.
    fullsizeoutput_44bc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_44c2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_44c0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4526.jpeg

2. The Late Night Gourmet

The Late Night Gourmet Über Member

Wow. This looks terrific. I am imagining the flavor of the grape leaves permeating the surface of the bird. I'm a huge fan of stuffed grape leaves.

morning glory likes this.