Powdered Milk

mjd

Veteran
Local time
7:06 AM
Have any of you ever used powdered milk? I just poured out a half gallon of milk (minus one cup) because I don't drink/use it fast enough. I need it for some recipes as I rarely just drink milk anymore (lactose intolerant) but I waste so much.

If so, what kind do you use and do you find it a good alternative to buying a jug of milk?

Thanks in advance!

I've only ever used it in its powdered form, as an ingredient, usually bread-baking.

What size milk containers do you buy? You may need to buy several of those little "school lunch" milks instead of a single larger carton.

TastyReuben, I usually get a half gallon and promise myself I will use it up but end up pouring most of it out just because my health issues fluctuate day-to-day.

I was thinking about the small cartons of milk but I don't know where to find them. I asked a friend who works in a school but the only place she knew about requires a large quantity order.

ETA: Just realized I didn't answer your question. Sorry about that. I usually get a half gallon.

Last edited:
I used it all the time when I lived in Eritrea. Initially, I used to buy it from my regular grocery shop and then the people I worked for told me they had some for me. Apparently, it was a perk for "management staff." We used to get a free toilet roll every month as well...

Now, when they said they had this powdered milk for me, I assumed it would be a small tin or maybe a couple. I duly went along to the place I had to collect it and there were three huge sacks of the stuff. In temperatures of over 40C, I had to lug them to my house one by one, they were so heavy. I think I must have shed about half a stone in weight that afternoon.

I ended up giving a lot of it away. I was inviting people to come round with containers to help themselves to the stuff. If I'd kept it all to myself, I think it would have taken about ten years to use.

I use it in some baking recipes like TR. I keep it in the freezer since I don't use it often.

There's also evaporated milk. Don't know that I would want to drink it (never tried it), but I do use it in place of milk a lot. Love it in mashies, gives them a ?richer? taste. I use it in other dishes as well. It can also be used as a sub for cream in some instances. Besides coming in cans, some brands come in a jug with a screw on lid. It keeps for a good while after opening in the fridge, besides being shelf stable before opening. Plus it comes in small amounts anyway.

BTW, heavy cream lasts a lot longer than milk and can always be watered down, and it comes in small and large sizes. We always have a container of heavy cream in fridge and about the only time I buy milk is when I need a large amount specifically for something or I have a craving for cereal.

There is also shelf stable milk now. I've never used it but several people on another cooking forum seem happy with it.

Last edited:
TastyReuben, I usually get a half gallon and promise myself I will use it up but end up pouring most of it out just because my health issues fluctuate day-to-day.

I was thinking about the small cartons of milk but I don't know where to find them. I asked a friend who works in a school but the only place she knew about requires a large quantity order.

ETA: Just realized I didn't answer your question. Sorry about that. I usually get a half gallon.

mjd , You live in Chicago and can't find Pint milk or Half N Half in the A&P or Jewel stores there? That's hard to believe.

• Wow
Reactions: mjd
I use it in some baking recipes like TR. I keep it in the freezer since I don't use it often.

There's also evaporated milk. Don't know that I would want to drink it (never tried it), but I do use it in place of milk a lot. Love it in mashies, gives them a ?richer? taste. I use it in other dishes as well. It can also be used as a sub for cream in some instances. Besides coming in cans, some brands come in a jug with a screw on lid. It keeps for a good while after opening in the fridge, besides being shelf stable before opening. Plus it comes in small amounts anyway.

BTW, heavy cream lasts a lot longer than milk and can always be watered down, and it comes in small and large sizes. We always have a container of heavy cream in fridge and about the only time I buy milk is when I need a large amount specifically for something or I have a craving for cereal.

There is also shelf stable milk now. I've never used it but several people on another cooking forum seem happy with it.
I will look into all those alternatives. Thanks for the tips.

One thing I found about powdered milk was that the best thing to do was dissolve it in water rather than sprinkling it into tea. The latter method just made it coagulate. Possibly this was to do with the very hot temperatures - where I lived in Eritrea, people thought it was cold if got below 35C.

One thing I found about powdered milk was that the best thing to do was dissolve it in water rather than sprinkling it into tea. The latter method just made it coagulate. Possibly this was to do with the very hot temperatures - where I lived in Eritrea, people thought it was cold if got below 35C.
Do you mean like using it as a creamer?

There are some areas in the US like that. Coming from Chicago, I never understood why they had heat and/or fireplaces in homes in North Carolina. To the natives, it was cold. To us, we wanted the pool in our subdivision open year round. LOL

That's how it's done here. We usually mix it first with some cold (or hot) water and then add boiling water and tea.

Reactions: mjd
Back
Top Bottom