Recipe Prawn Cocktail

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
1:01 AM

Ingredients
  • 4 or 6 Lettuce leaves (I used green oak)
  • 1 Fresh small tomato, chopped
  • 1 Small cucumber, chopped
  • 12 Freshwater prawns
  • 1 tblsp Butter
  • 5 tblsp Mayonnaise
  • 2 tsp Tomato puree
  • 4 - 5 Dashes of hot tabasco red sauce (or more)
  • Juice of 2 limes (or lemons)
  • 2 Pinches of paprika
Method

Heat the butter in a small frying pan and fry the prawns for about 2 minutes each side. Allow to cool.

Mix the mayonnaise, tomato puree and tobasco then refrigerate.

Shred the lettuce and place in the base of two medium wine glasses. Add the chopped tomato and cucumber to each.

Add half of the mayonnaise mix and then three prawns in each glass. Add the remaining mayonnaise mixture and then the remaining prawns.

Squeeze one lime over each glass. Sprinkle the paprika over the visible prawns.

Chill.

My fave entree. I'm hungry now.

Russ

I haven't had a restaurant prepared one for probably 30 years. It used to be included in the most popular ordered meal in UK for many years (with beef steak). Now I understand the most popular ordered meal in UK is onion bhaji and chicken tikka masala.

I haven't had a restaurant prepared one for probably 30 years. It used to be included in the most popular ordered meal in UK for many years (with beef steak). Now I understand the most popular ordered meal in UK is onion bhaji and chicken tikka masala.

You'd be hard pushed to find it on any restaurant menu these days.

I'll never forget the Red Lion in Brigg, Lincolnshire where they served prawns in Mary Rose sauce wrapped in smoked salmon slices. I worked in Messingham at the time. It was 1973!

I still cannot remember what happened on Tuesday!

You'd be hard pushed to find it on any restaurant menu these days.
My local does it regularly. I am seeing it creeping back in - and about time too.

The best prawn cocktail I ever tasted was in Koh Samui, Thailand when it was made with finely shredded white cabbage in place of limp lettuce.

The first "flash" place I started going to in my early 20s had it as an entree, I'd never had prawns in my life. Prolly why I kept going back, along with a porterhouse steak with a Dianne sauce, the sauce I've replicated to perfect. A meal I made on Monday night here.

Russ

My local does it regularly. I am seeing it creeping back in - and about time too.

The best prawn cocktail I ever tasted was in Koh Samui, Thailand when it was made with finely shredded white cabbage in place of limp lettuce.

I've made it with white (Chinese) cabbage before. Cabbage keeps far longer than lettuce in the fridge. And it's much cheaper here.

These are with cabbage.

Last edited:
I'll never forget the Red Lion in Brigg, Lincolnshire where they served prawns in Mary Rose sauce wrapped in smoked salmon slices. I worked in Messingham at the time. It was 1973!

I still cannot remember what happened on Tuesday!

I'm not too bad on memory, the place was the guardsman on Armagh st. Around 79?
Croquettes were also on the menu, my wife's fave. I make them now, as good as they served up.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom