Preferred Oil For Pan/Deep Frying?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
11:48 PM
Both vegetable oil (which is mainly soybean oil in the US, I think) and canola oil (which is the same as or similar to rapeseed oil in the UK, I think) have a strong fishy smell and taste to me, even while they're still in the bottle, before heating.

I understand that not everyone picks up that odor and taste, but it's downright overpowering to me. Peanut oil is a bit pricey, but I'm beginning to think that's where I'm headed, as far as pan frying (like fried chicken) and deep frying go.

What's everyone's preferred oil for frying? Anybody else pick up that noxious odor and/or taste from everyday vegetable oil or canola oil?

For deep frying, I use peanut oil. It is pricey, but it works great.

For pan frying/sautéing, I use a few different oils. Olive oil or canola oil for moderate temperatures, and something like grapeseed oil for higher heats -- although I rarely do high heat frying. I don't personally see much similarity between canola and grapeseed oils.

CD

We use soybean oil generally for deep frying, sometimes sunflower oil (depends which is on special). I have not noticed a fishy smell from soybean oil but my senses are notoriously lacking. The most popular oil here because of the price is palm oil. The taste of palm oil makes me wretch and is the main reason that I avoided fried foods when in Malaysia.

Olive oil or butter for shallow frying unless it's bacon then I use it's own fat (in which I subsequently dip my bread).

Vegetable oil in deep frier ( 2.5 litre) and evoo on bench top. I've been known to use evoo to top up deep frier. Peanut oil would be first choice but too expensive, we use a lot!!

Russ

Back
Top Bottom