Prep and Plan day

Local time
11:39 PM
Do any of you have a "prep and plan" day? I was doing my usual online search for ideas to get myself more organised when it comes to my cooking. and came across an article that spoke to having a day in the week for prepping and planning your meals. It makes good sense and can be useful for people with busy schedules. Is it something you already do and if not is it something you would consider?

Have a look at the link.

http://www.eatsandexercisebyamber.com/home/meal-prep-for-beginners

Last edited:
I am not the best at prepping for meals right now, but I do plan for them. I normally go grocery shopping around payday and so, a couple days before that, I will plan out what we are going to have for lunch and dinner for the next week and make my grocery list off of that. I would like to start making meals ahead of time that I can just place in the freezer to cook on a busy week night. I am still working on that part.

I usually plan as I go along, since it's only me eating. I pick a meat, which is usually chicken, then a starch, which is usually rice, and then either broccoli, green beans or mixed veggies. :wink: :headshake:

I am not the best at prepping for meals right now, but I do plan for them. I normally go grocery shopping around payday and so, a couple days before that, I will plan out what we are going to have for lunch and dinner for the next week and make my grocery list off of that. I would like to start making meals ahead of time that I can just place in the freezer to cook on a busy week night. I am still working on that part.

Well, for me it's something I would love to do consistently but it has not worked out so far. I also think where certain vegetables are involved, I am not going to want to prepare them well ahead of time. For me it's going to be more the meats. Granted the few times I have planned ahead it made a big difference.

We plan our meals before we do our grocery shop, that way we only buy what we need so we waste practically nothing. My husband will spend time in the kitchen making chilli or bolognese, divide into pots and into the freezer, quick and easy weekday meal. We prefer to cook then eat if possible.

I plan all the time. Its almost obsessive! I sit watching TV and scribble ideas for menus. But I rarely stick to the plan! Main ingredients are delivered via on-line shopping: chicken, vegetables, milk, eggs, mince, cheese, potatoes, carrots etc. Then the improvisation comes in...

I plan after I've been shopping for my boys,some times done online and delivered but I will just buy,cook and go for myself especially on my time off,at work my life revolves around the seasons and what's available,so I am writing menus every day and planing ,I plan all our functions ,last week that was 7 ,so I don't tend to over complicate my home life,other wise it can become a bus mans holiday
:chef:

Ha, ha, ha! You mean are we organized??? I would l love to say yes, but I just don't have that kind of leisure. If I don't prep the fresh stuff within 24 hours of bringing it home (wash and bag greens, etc.) there is a large chance something will end up in the compost. I try to only buy enough stuff for a couple days in case my schedule changes and I can't use up what I have.

Ha, ha, ha! You mean are we organized??? I would l love to say yes, but I just don't have that kind of leisure. If I don't prep the fresh stuff within 24 hours of bringing it home (wash and bag greens, etc.) there is a large chance something will end up in the compost. I try to only buy enough stuff for a couple days in case my schedule changes and I can't use up what I have.
:okay: You got it. How organise are we? I want to "whisper loudly" that I fall short in this area. I would like to have a schedule for at least four days in the week. Just three would make me feel like I am getting somewhere. It would make life a lot easier as there are three of us to take care of and seven if you include my four dogs.

:okay: You got it. How organise are we? I want to "whisper loudly" that I fall short in this area. I would like to have a schedule for at least four days in the week. Just three would make me feel like I am getting somewhere. It would make life a lot easier as there are three of us to take care of and seven if you include my four dogs.

Oh, my! Four dogs? You really have your hands full there. Four young children who'll never grow up, lol. I hope they are well trained and listen. At least you don't have to worry about pleasing them when it's time to cook. Their meals are quite easy to plan!

I had planned to stop off at the grocery on the way home yesterday and discovered I'd been driving around all day without my wallet! That's how organized I was, lol.

Oh, my! Four dogs? You really have your hands full there. Four young children who'll never grow up, lol. I hope they are well trained and listen. At least you don't have to worry about pleasing them when it's time to cook. Their meals are quite easy to plan!

I had planned to stop off at the grocery on the way home yesterday and discovered I'd been driving around all day without my wallet! That's how organized I was, lol.

Yeah.. 4 dogs....The last one is a handful. Training is not going well but feeding them is not a problem. This last one will eat me if I let her but yes, my hands are full. About the wallet, it makes me feel good to know I have company in the disorganized department, but I want to get out of that department and soon.

It's Monday and I have decided to stay at home and work from here for a bit. I know my husband is happiest when he comes home and finds fresh food to eat, so I will prepare something and not disappoint. Had I planned the meal, time would have been saved. How do I manage my time is a question that's always in front of me.

It's Monday and I have decided to stay at home and work from here for a bit. I know my husband is happiest when he comes home and finds fresh food to eat, so I will prepare something and not disappoint. Had I planned the meal, time would have been saved. How do I manage my time is a question that's always in front of me.

I had to be at work in the morning yesterday and then my mom came by to pick something up. I was so tired I was ready to go to bed at 5 pm! I'll be headed out to shop after I water the plants. I'm still too groggy to think about what I'm going to get, but it will probably end up being a few supplemental items to tied me over for the rest of the week.

It's Thursday and I have not cooked since Sunday. This seldom happens but I have been away from the house from 9 til 9. This rarely happens, but a prep and plan approach would help in situations where I am gone from home those really long hours. I would save me having to buy costly food from restaurants I seldom enjoy.

It's Thursday and I have not cooked since Sunday. This seldom happens but I have been away from the house from 9 til 9. This rarely happens, but a prep and plan approach would help in situations where I am gone from home those really long hours. I would save me having to buy costly food from restaurants I seldom enjoy.

I can relate, though now I'll have more time on my hands. I had a seasonal job and yesterday I found out the season ended yesterday. Think they could have given me a heads up? Have a little project I'm working on at home that I now need to hurry and finish, though I don't know if I'll be cooking for the next week or so.

I do have a "prep and plan" day - I receive a paycheck every Friday so I always plan meals for the week ahead on a Thursday night. I'll then go and get everything I need on the Friday morning. I wouldn't be able to stretch my money very far if I didn't do this.

Back
Top Bottom