Preparing Fresh Garlic

zandi

Veteran
Local time
11:49 AM
I there an easy way to deal with preparing fresh garlic, without using one of those fancy contractions, which I do not have available. I seem to struggle with chopping up the garlic, yet, I like fresh much better than the powder.

Also, should I peel the whole clove first (which I find a pain to do, too :o_o:), and store the rest (no way do I need a whole one, too much for me :stop:). Or should I just cut it half and only peel what I need? I am just wondering, if I peel the whole clove first, if I am losing some of the flavor?

Seperate the cloves , as required top and bottom trim of the Clove and bash with a knife the paper skin will fall away
I then crush the garlic to a paste with salt,great fresh but if you do a batch you can store in oil or I make butter logs slice and store in the freezer

I there an easy way to deal with preparing fresh garlic, without using one of those fancy contractions, which I do not have available. I seem to struggle with chopping up the garlic, yet, I like fresh much better than the powder.

Also, should I peel the whole clove first (which I find a pain to do, too :o_o:), and store the rest (no way do I need a whole one, too much for me :stop:). Or should I just cut it half and only peel what I need? I am just wondering, if I peel the whole clove first, if I am losing some of the flavor?

Mincer.jpg
Oxo garlic chopper..jpg

Get one of THESE.
I have them both! They make mincing food such as garlic & herbs so much easier.
Also, I buy garlic cloves already peeled. Eliminates the fuss & bother of trying to get the skin off! :wink: :stop:

What I always do is, I take the clove in my hand and start chipping off small bits from the sides with a sharp knife. It's fast and gives you really small pieces of fresh garlic. Also this way when you have enough, the rest of the clove will still be intact... makes it easier to store it.

Only negative side is that your fingers will smell of garlic afterwards. :p

I usually just take however many cloves of garlic I need, and use the flat side of my knife just press down on it (with the help of my hand and my body weight). This will usually flatten the garlic and "release" it from the shell/skin. Then I just peel the shell/skin off, cut the tip of the garlic off (the rough, nonedible part) and just chop up the rest.

It's a little more work compared to if you were to buy pre-cut garlic or whatever, but the taste and smell of fresh garlic is way better :)

Seperate the cloves , as required top and bottom trim of the Clove and bash with a knife the paper skin will fall away
I then crush the garlic to a paste with salt,great fresh but if you do a batch you can store in oil or I make butter logs slice and store in the freezer

This sounds like a good enough idea to me except I honestly don't like to store much of anything in the freezer. That's something I probably need to work on as I know it could save some time and wastage. I honestly don't give garlic preparation a lot of thought as I am quite happy to know I always have some available.

Often, I will grab some and just chop it roughly. I have stopped buying equipment I end up never using. Shermie's equipment does look lovely though.

This sounds like a good enough idea to me except I honestly don't like to store much of anything in the freezer. That's something I probably need to work on as I know it could save some time and wastage. I honestly don't give garlic preparation a lot of thought as I am quite happy to know I always have some available.

Often, I will grab some and just chop it roughly. I have stopped buying equipment I end up never using. Shermie's equipment does look lovely though.

Thanks!

I use the rolling mincer for fresh herbs, and the little copper for peeled garlic cloves. :wink:

In my family, we've always just crushed it up using a big knife against a chopping block. It DOES get noisy lol but it's quick and requires zero outside equipment. We've never bothered to peel the cloves first but I guess you could if you're worried about dirt and stuff.

another way i do garlic is to cook the garlic in oil like a confit,so you get a cooked clove and flavoured oil,the skin of the garlic comes off easy and can be used in salads etc and there is less risk of it going blue when it oxidises as it can do, and also is less hash

another way i do garlic is to cook the garlic in oil like a confit,so you get a cooked clove and flavoured oil,the skin of the garlic comes off easy and can be used in salads etc and there is less risk of it going blue when it oxidises as it can do, and also is less hash

That sounds like a cool technique...Do you do it in the pan or in the oven?

I heard about it, but I never did it though.
The intensity of the garlic flavor is increased by doing it this way. :wink:
I've also heard that when you roast veggies, you could just put whole garlic cloves in and then EAT THEM afterwards. Too bad my oven isn't working right now, otherwise I would've tried it out already.

Back
Top Bottom