Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
3:11 PM
PRETZEL BUNS
Makes 12 buns

Ingredients
1-1/2 cups (360ml) warm water
1 packet active dry or instant yeast (2 and 1/4 teaspoons)
1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
3-3/4 to 4 cups (460-500g) AP flour, plus more for work surface
Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling

1/2 cup (120g) baking soda
9 cups (2,160ml) water

Directions
Whisk yeast and warm water together. Allow to sit for 1 minute. Meanwhile, melt 1 Tablespoon of butter. Whisk in salt, brown sugar, and melted butter. Slowly add 3 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time. Mix with a wooden spoon or dough hook attached to stand mixer until dough is thick. Add 3/4 cup more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. If it is still sticky, add 1/4 – 1/2 cup more, as needed. Poke the dough with your finger – if it bounces back, it is ready to knead.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead the dough for 3 minutes and shape into a ball. Place in a large greased bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and allow to rise in a warm environment for 1 hour or until nearly doubled in size.

Once risen, punch dough down to release any air bubbles. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and, with a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut dough into 1/3 cup sections. You should have about 12. Shape into balls.

Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats OR line a 9×13 baking pan (I use a baking pan.) Set aside.

Bring baking soda and 9 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Drop 1-2 pretzel rolls into the boiling water for 20-30 seconds. Any more than that and your pretzels will have a metallic taste. Using a slotted spatula, lift the pretzel roll out of the water and allow as much of the excess water to drip off. Place pretzel rolls onto prepared baking sheet or close together in the baking pan. Using a sharp knife, score a couple slits into the top of each.

Melt the remaining butter. Lightly brush each roll with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.

Bake for 22-26 minutes or until a deep golden brown on all sides.

Remove from the oven and serve warm. Pretzel rolls may be stored in an airtight container or zipped top bag for up to 3 days (they lose a little softness).

Recipe courtesy of sallysbakingaddiction.com

I'm quite happy with the results of this recipe...these really do taste like a soft pretzel!

The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Burger buns

They look delicious. Its very similar to making bagels but the bagel recipe I have doesn't state using baking soda in the water. I wonder what that does...

The cracked crust is very appealing - I wonder if that is to do with the soda.

They look delicious. Its very similar to making bagels but the bagel recipe I have doesn't state using baking soda in the water. I wonder what that does...

The cracked crust is very appealing - I wonder if that is to do with the soda.
This is from The Kitchn:

"This bath essentially gelatinizes the outside of the pretzel, preventing it from fully “springing” during baking (as bread does) and giving pretzels their signature chewy crust. It also gives them their unique and indelible “pretzel” flavor."

In germany we call them Laugenbrötchen, Lauge is the opposite of acidic in the ph-scale and baking powder lowers the ph-level I believe.
Ps: I always wanted to bake pretzels, but then I think it's to much work for me.
Stay healthy

Back
Top Bottom