Recipe Puerco Pibil con Pibil Achiote Quinoa

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
3:48 PM
Puerco Pibil con Pibil Achiote Quinoa:

full.jpg

NOTE: Puerco Pibil originates from the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. It is common to cook it in a bed of banana leaves, but that is not necessary, unless strict authenticity is desired.

NOTE: Puerco Pibil is often made in large quantity from as much as 5 lbs. of pork butt. But this may be scaled back to create meals of one or two servings.

NOTE: The Pibil marinade is a special achiote paste made more liquid with orange juice and as options, white vinegar and tequila.

NOTE: Puerco Pibil debuted in the movie "Once Upon a Time in Mexico."

Ingredients:

NOTE: The achiote marinade for Puerco Pibil will be used in this recipe, both to overnight marinade the pork and then, to season the quinoa.

1) Pork Stewing Meat - 4 Oz.
2) Quinoa (white) - 1/2 cup
3) Orange juice - 1/2 cup
4) Limes - 1 small
5) Habanero pepper - 1
6) Garlic, crushed - 1 tblspn.
7) Annato Seed or Powder - 2 tbspns.
8) Cumin Seed or Powder - 1 tspn.
9) Pepper corns, black - 1 tspn.
10) Allspice - 1 tspn.
11) Cloves - 1 tspn.
12) Tequila (optional) - 1 shot
13) White vinegar (optional) 1 tblspn.
14) Corn tortilla chips - as preferred

Procedure:

1) Crush the annato, cumin, pepper corns and cloves to form a powder.

NOTE: If the any of the spices are already pulverized, ok.

2) Mix all spices.
3) Heat and toast the spices.
4) Peal the limes.
5) Separate the lime wedges and cut them into pieces.

NOTE: Do not squish the lime, but leave it in pieces.

6) Dice the garlic and habanero pepper.
7) Mix the garlic, habanero, orange juice, spices, lime, vinegar and tequila.
8) Heat the mix and cook it down to form a marinade and sauce.
9) If necessary, cut the pork into 1/4 to 1/2" cubes.
10) Marinade the pork overnight in 1/2 the marinade/sauce.
11) Set the other half aside and refrigerate.
12) Boil quinoa in twice as much water (1/4 cup).
13) Cover the pot, turn off heat and allow to steam.
14) Bake the marinaded pork until done (about 20 to 30 minutes).
15) Cook the quinoa mixed with the Pibil sauce.
16) Spoon the quinoa and sauce onto a serving plate.
17) Cover with baked Puerco Pibil.
18) Serve with tortilla chips as a side.

Pibil Marinade sounds very tasty!

So in step 15 what do you mean by 'cook'? Bring it to boil or just heat up and stirr?

The Pibil achiote marinade is a warm to hot, spicy sweet marinade. It has a bite to it because of the habanero pepper, but its tolerable.

I pre-cooked quite a bit of white quinoa and refrigerated it, so in my case, yes, it means heat it up. If you are starting from scratch, it means boiling in water with a 2 to 1 ration, covering the pot, allowing it to steam and puff up, and then, adding the Pibil achiote, continuing to heat and stirring it in.

Keep in mind that the marinade was made the night before and part of it was used to marinade the pork and part was separately refrigerated to use with the quinoa, the following day.

The Pibil achiote marinade is a warm to hot, spicy sweet marinade. It has a bite to it because of the habanero pepper, but its tolerable.

I pre-cooked quite a bit of white quinoa and refrigerated it, so in my case, yes, it means heat it up. If you are starting from scratch, it means boiling in water with a 2 to 1 ration, covering the pot, allowing it to steam and puff up, and then, adding the Pibil achiote, continuing to heat and stirring it in.

Keep in mind that the marinade was made the night before and part of it was used to marinade the pork and part was separately refrigerated to use with the quinoa, the following day.
Oh good, that makes it very clear. Thanks.

Yes, I noticed the overnight effort. Well done!

Were you content?

Oh good, that makes it very clear. Thanks.

Yes, I noticed the overnight effort. Well done!

Were you content?

Having never had Puerco Pabil before, I don't know how it should taste in a restaurant. But I was satisfied with the results and would make it again.

One of my all time faves. Super easy, and holds up well for days of leftovers.

OP, recipe sounds good, albeit a lot of work for just 4oz of meat.

Let's keep in mind that I am a single old disabled vet and 5 lb. of pork but is not what I usually purchase at the grocery store. 4 Oz. is good for a single meal. Also, I never made Pibil before and the first try is best done with 4 Oz., than with 5 lb., to avoid having to toss 5 lb. of meat and other stuff.

I think a lot of members would be happy making just a single serving of the stuff, so presenting a recipe for a single serving is good. Of course, I used one habanero and if I truly scaled back, I might have used about 1/4 habanero to match the proportions of the Pibils I've reviewed when researching this meal.

Very interesting and creative! I have never had this dish before, I don't blame you for not wanting to risk cooking a large amount of meat on the first run. Looks good!

Back
Top Bottom