Recipe Puff Paste Almond Cake (Pithiviers)

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
6:55 PM
PUFF PASTE ALMOND CAKE (PITHIVIERS)
Makes 8 servings

Ingredients
About 2-1/2 pounds (1.1kg) puff paste*

Almond Filling:
3/4 cup (120 grams) whole unskinned almonds
1/2 cup (75 grams) confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 stick (4 TBsp/56 grams) unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1 TBsp dark rum
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Glaze:
Egg wash made with 1 large egg with half the white
1 TBsp corn syrup

Directions
For the almond filling:
Preheat the oven to 400F (204C). Place the almonds on a cookie sheet and brown in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Put the toasted almonds, sugar, and cornstarch in the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture is finely ground. Add the butter, egg, rum, and vanilla, and process again until smooth. Place in a bowl and, if not using right away, refrigerate. The mixture tends to thicken as it cools in the refrigerator.

To assemble and make the cake:
Roll the puff paste dough into a large rectangle approximately 1/4-inch (6mm) thick. Using a 10-inch (25cm) flan ring, Mark two circles in the dough.

With a sharp knife, cut out the two circles (don't use the flan ring to cut the dough since it would crush rather than cut the dough, preventing it from rising properly). Place one of the circles on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Arrange the almond filling on top, spreading it with a spatula to within 1-inch of the edge of the circle.

Moisten the exposed edge of the filled dough with water and place the remaining circle of dough on top. Press around the edge to seal the two dough rounds together. Place the cake in the freezer for 5-10 minutes so the dough hardens a little.

Press around the edge with your thumb while notching with a spoon handle to create a design. Press firmly with your thumb to make firm indentations.

Brush the top of the cake with the egg wash and, using a knife, Mark concentric lines from the outer edge to the center of the cake and make a hole through the dough in the center with the point of the knife.

Bake at 400F (204C) for approximately 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375F (191C). Brush the corn syrup on the cake. Continue baking for approximately 15 minutes. By that time, the surface should be beautifully glazed. If not, place under the broiler for a few minutes to finish glazing.

After cooling for 20-30 minutes, cut into wedges and serve lukewarm.

*You can use any homemade puff pastry you like. Supermarket puff pastry cbe used. I actually used a supermarket pie dough, filled one side with half the filling, then folded in half like a pasty.

Recipe courtesy of "New Complete Techniques" by Jacques Pepin

https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...e-challenge-almonds.19383/page-10#post-214995

NOTE: I approximated the temps since I was using a supermarket pie dough. I used 400F and 375F and kept the times per the recipe. I think it could have gone about 5 minutes less at the end.

PUFF PASTE ALMOND CAKE (PITHIVIERS)
Makes 8 servings

Ingredients
About 2-1/2 pounds (1.1kg) puff paste*

Almond Filling:
3/4 cup (120 grams) whole unskinned almonds
1/2 cup (75 grams) confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 stick (4 TBsp/56 grams) unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1 TBsp dark rum
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Glaze:
Egg wash made with 1 large egg with half the white
1 TBsp corn syrup

Directions
For the almond filling:
Preheat the oven to 400F (204C). Place the almonds on a cookie sheet and brown in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Put the toasted almonds, sugar, and cornstarch in the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture is finely ground. Add the butter, egg, rum, and vanilla, and process again until smooth. Place in a bowl and, if not using right away, refrigerate. The mixture tends to thicken as it cools in the refrigerator.

To assemble and make the cake:
Roll the puff paste dough into a large rectangle approximately 1/4-inch (6mm) thick. Using a 10-inch (25cm) flan ring, Mark two circles in the dough.

With a sharp knife, cut out the two circles (don't use the flan ring to cut the dough since it would crush rather than cut the dough, preventing it from rising properly). Place one of the circles on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Arrange the almond filling on top, spreading it with a spatula to within 1-inch of the edge of the circle.

Moisten the exposed edge of the filled dough with water and place the remaining circle of dough on top. Press around the edge to seal the two dough rounds together. Place the cake in the freezer for 5-10 minutes so the dough hardens a little.

Press around the edge with your thumb while notching with a spoon handle to create a design. Press firmly with your thumb to make firm indentations.

Brush the top of the cake with the egg wash and, using a knife, Mark concentric lines from the outer edge to the center of the cake and make a hole through the dough in the center with the point of the knife.

Bake at 400F (204C) for approximately 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375F (191C). Brush the corn syrup on the cake. Continue baking for approximately 15 minutes. By that time, the surface should be beautifully glazed. If not, place under the broiler for a few minutes to finish glazing.

After cooling for 20-30 minutes, cut into wedges and serve lukewarm.

*You can use any homemade puff pastry you like. Supermarket puff pastry cbe used. I actually used a supermarket pie dough, filled one side with half the filling, then folded in half like a pasty.

Recipe courtesy of "New Complete Techniques" by Jacques Pepin

NOTE: I approximated the temps since I was using a supermarket pie dough. I used 400F and 375F and kept the times per the recipe. I think it could have gone about 5 minutes less at the end.
Classic knife markings, it would not be out of place in a Patisserie in Normandy. Zorro lives !!!

Back
Top Bottom