Pumpkin Pie Spice

cookieee

Local time
7:37 PM
Hard to believe, but it is getting to be that time of year when everything seems to be flavored with Pumpkin Pie Spices.

I have never been much of a fan of the spice blend, but I just read an article in one of my cooking mag. that lists the 5 major ingredients and how good they are for you. So now I am thinking of using it. The 5 major ingredients are Allspice, Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, Nutmeg.

So, what do you all think of the spice blend and do you use it and if so, how?

I don't have a problem with the spice mix - those spices in some combination figure into a lot of desserts in my house, year round.

The onslaught of "Pumpkin Spice This" and "Pumpkin Spice That" kind of wears me out. I was just at the market, and I expect to see pumpkin spice twinkies and pumpkin spice coffee, but it's taken over the cereal aisle, the candy aisle, the beer aisle, everywhere. Don't forget the pumpkin spiced SPAM I posted about earlier. Yikes!

Over the years when I used to do all the baking and cooking, I would by pass any recipe that called for Pumpkin Pie Spice blend. Never really checking what was in it. I was of the old school and would want to put in the different spices myself. If anyone has a can/jar of Pumpkin Pie Spice, would you mind listing the ingredients?

I don't actually have this but found it on-line: Ingredients: CINNAMON, GINGER, NUTMEG, ALLSPICE, AND SULFITING AGENTS.
So no cloves.

We don't really get this in the UK - there isn't a tradition of pumpkin pie or pumpkin spice mix. This is an American import.

I don't actually have this but found it on-line: Ingredients: CINNAMON, GINGER, NUTMEG, ALLSPICE, AND SULFITING AGENTS.
So no cloves.

We don't really get this in the UK - there isn't a tradition of pumpkin pie or pumpkin spice mix. This is an American import.

View attachment 32725
You beat me to it. lol Thanks for the list, that is just what I wanted to see. So, your not being bombarded with Pumpkin Pie Spice stuff in your stores or TV?

The closest thing to pre-made pumpkin pie spice in the UK is probably mixed spice. Whenever I make recipes that are Brit in origin that use mixed spice, they usually have a note that says Americans can sub in pumpkin pie spice.

Don't forget their sibling:

Also, in responding to the first post, I was talking about those spices mixed together in a general sense. I don't own anything called "pumpkin pie spice," I just mix my own up when I need it because I already have all that stuff on hand.

I only have 2 recipes to make your own Pumpkin Pie spice blend.

Pumpkin Pie Spices
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
(makes 1 tsp.)
Source: Sun Sentinel Feb. '05

Pumpkin Pie Spices
5 TB. ground cinnamon
4 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. ground cloves
2 tsp. ground nutmeg