Pumpkin Pie tips

We have a recipe for a butternut squash savory pie that I'm sure could have pumpkin instead. It's from a pie place that is in a city south of us that sells nothing but pies, if they are still around that is. We used the filling for empanadas instead of pie. I'll look for it.

Found the link for the recipe. Good pie company pie recipe. I think pumpkin would do just fine. I'd use a small pie pumpkin if they are around for those of you on the other side of the pond.
That is a proper savoury pie. We do get smaller pumpkins. I've noticed that the larger ones are being labelled "carving pumpkin", but I have a suspicion that this is for marketing reasons - the smaller ones are much more expensive.

That is a proper savoury pie. We do get smaller pumpkins. I've noticed that the larger ones are being labelled "carving pumpkin", but I have a suspicion that this is for marketing reasons - the smaller ones are much more expensive.

The smaller ones have a bit more sweetness to the flesh and they also have less stringy stuff.

There's a difference between pumpkins for eating and pumpkins for carving. You can certainly use a carving pumpkin for eating, or a sugar pumpkin for carving, but they are some differences to be aware of:

What's the Difference Between a Pie Pumpkin and a Carving Pumpkin? - My Fearless Kitchen

The smaller ones have a bit more sweetness to the flesh and they also have less stringy stuff.
There's a difference between pumpkins for eating and pumpkins for carving. You can certainly use a carving pumpkin for eating, or a sugar pumpkin for carving, but they are some differences to be aware of:

What's the Difference Between a Pie Pumpkin and a Carving Pumpkin? - My Fearless Kitchen
Every day is a school day! The few times I have made pumpkin pie it has been a way of using up the flesh from a carving pumpkin. I won't be carving one this year, so will look out for a smaller one instead.

Every day is a school day! The few times I have made pumpkin pie it has been a way of using up the flesh from a carving pumpkin. I won't be carving one this year, so will look out for a smaller one instead.
Honestly, the norm here in the US (and I'm sure of this without doing any research whatsoever :laugh: is to used canned pumpkin. There's so much of it in the stores right now, you trip over it trying to get through the aisles.

Honestly, the norm here in the US (and I'm sure of this without doing any research whatsoever :laugh: is to used canned pumpkin. There's so much of it in the stores right now, you trip over it trying to get through the aisles.
I don't even know if we get that here, but then I've never looked. It would certainly be easier.

The few times I have eaten pumpkin pie, they were made with a pie pumpkin. The canned stuff is nasty, IMO.

I made pumpkin pie a few years ago and enjoyed it. This year I have 13 pumpkins from my allotment, usually I give them to parents for their kids, but I have kept 2 this year to cook. If I make a pie I'll post a picture.:unsure:

Back
Top Bottom