Puntarelle and other types of chicory/endive

I just remembered I had in fact cooked radicchio - sort of take on the classic 'Peas a la Francaise'

peas-à-la-francaise-with-pink-radicchio.14469

Oh - and that pink radicchio is so very pretty. Here in a salad with blue eggs & avocado and a few rosemary flowers from my sadly defunct rosemary bush:

Oh - and that pink radicchio is so very pretty. Here in a salad with blue eggs & avocado and a few rosemary flowers from my sadly defunct rosemary bush:

View attachment 75794
how did you turn the egg white blue?
mind you, how did you kill rosemary. even in Surrey/Hampshire border and -14°C at night we never managed that (I suspect they were close enough to the house to gain some protection but not a huge amount being 2m away from it).

I'd had it for decades - it was practically a tree. Then, last summer if started to go brown and died. I've no idea why. Also, the cherry tree in the garden failed to produce anything this year. I'm usually drowning in cherries.

the cherry tree is easy to explain, frost the first night after the blooms flower.. it did my apricots last year as well. didn't get a single one, it any damsons. this year we've been luckier with the fruit. even got done damsons for the first time in 4 years. but none of my seeds i put in the ground before my op have happened except the red kale and the broad beans, so I'm having to try again with new seeds and in some cases plants. I need to sew some tomorrow along with bleaching my dehydrator...

rosemary is a funny bush. it can survive for years through really hard frosts but normally there's a reason for it dying. I'm going to take cuttings off mine this year because it's giving me concern. the center is starting to die off but that could be the chooks... a few spare plants would be handy in another part if the garden, as backup.

I've tasked hubby with finding chicory and poppy seeds...

I don't think it was that. It had hardly any blooms at all in the first place. Same with another cherry tree (sour) in the garden.
they it may have been a frost just after the buds formed so they died and never opened. all of these fruit trees are very susceptible to frosts are wrong time.

I don't think it was that. It had hardly any blooms at all in the first place. Same with another cherry tree (sour) in the garden.
the only other option is that they were both pruned incorrectly (usually at the wrong time of year, flowers usually only form on the previous years of growth, not soft green growth that's happening there and then). so if they were very heavily pruned and cut back to a few core branches only a few feet long each, then they'd not be able to put many if any flowers out.

the only other option is that they were both pruned incorrectly (usually at the wrong time of year, flowers usually only form on the previous years of growth, not soft green growth that's happening there and then). so if they were very heavily pruned and cut back to a few core branches only a few feet long each, then they'd not be able to put many if any flowers out.

The main tree is huge. No way could I prune it! Neither the other one. I lived here for nearly 20 years and no pruning, nevertheless an abundance of cherries each year until this year. The main sweet cherry tree is bigger than my house.

We are very off topic...

The main tree is huge. No way could I prune it! Neither the other one. I lived here for nearly 20 years and no pruning, nevertheless an abundance of cherries each year until this year. The main sweet cherry tree is bigger than my house.

We are very off topic...
then likely as not it was just a frost at the wrong time, that simply killed the flowers in bud before they opened. It's the only sensible explanation for a huge tree not flowering. But I guess you will find out in April... if it happens a second time in a row, then something is wrong with the tree, if it flowers fine, as it will probably, then it was just a badly timed frost. As I said, it is exactly what happened with my apricot last season. We actually saw the flowers in full bud, on the point of opening and that night had a harsh frost and lost all of them. Not a single fruit on the tree that season. This year it flowered really well. I've not looked for fruit yet though. It's kind of raining yet again and I'm concentrating on other matters (such as having bust another xyz rib and recovering from the hip op).

Back
Top Bottom