I was kinda waiting for you to chime in.
I did not sterilize the lid, it was simply washed it, placed in a pot of hot water and never used.

And have looked for canning supplies lately?
VERY difficult to come by, at least here in Cowboyville Arizona USA. Loads of folks home can and given the times we're in ...

I watched this gal in the Walmart standing in the aisle way, waiting for the employee to finish un-wrapping a small palate of Mason jars, which she immediately grabbed and put in her cart, then ran to check out before someone tried to steal them from her.
I seen folks actually, physically fighting, fists to cuff, over Mason Jars, lids, rings, the whole lot!!! I'm not kidding!

I had to stop giving my home-canned goods away to folks, `cuz they don't return the jars!!! Only Mom, `cuz she wants to get more from me in the future :happy:
I remember during the beginning of the pandemic when folks were buying up pallets of toilet paper, and then this old couple who were likely on a fixed income just wanted to buy a few packs and people who were buying were hording wouldn't give up any of what they had in their carts. Also I remember hand sanitizer being out of stock and how sad it was to see when some people just wanted one bottle and there were none to be had.

Anyway, it's rude and deplorable behavior. Not to mention folks not returning jars. That's really rude when you were nice enough to gift them homemade goods!

Yeah, y'know JAS_OH1 that's why Mrs. NDN only gets stuff from me that's in a disposable container now :o_o:
Man but she is lucky you give her anything at all. What do you suppose she did with the jars? Don't people realize that this stuff costs money? Even disposable containers do.

Which is why when I send food with my nephew and kids, I use those restaurant containers that I keep in my pantry. My husband gave me a little bit of a hard time about washing and saving those until he saw how nothing ever comes back. Forget them getting any of my really good Pyrex and glass containers!

Which BTW, you have probably figured out store food exceptionally well, food lasts 2x longer in the refrigerator in those. I had some fresh pineapple I had bought and cut up and stored in one in the back of the refrigerator. After 10 days I pulled it out thinking I was going to have to freeze or puree, and it looked and tasted as fresh as the day I cut it up. Amazing!

JAS_OH1 I honestly don't know what she's done with the Mason jars... she's not a cook, at all, they eat out most meals.
My good Pyrex bowls ONLY go to my Mom and I agree, they do keep food really well.
pyrex bowls with lids.jpg

(photo credit Pyrex)
I bought 6 of these 2 cup containers for Mom and she's real careful with them.

When I give any kind of food to anyone, I use a container that I assume will never come back, and have decided I can live with that. Sometimes I get the container back (usually Kroger brand version of Gladware), always clean, I am happy about it. But don't take notice of containers that don't come back.

I figure that I am "giving" something to someone I like, so no strings attached.

CD

When I give any kind of food to anyone, I use a container that I assume will never come back, and have decided I can live with that. Sometimes I get the container back (usually Kroger brand version of Gladware), always clean, I am happy about it. But don't take notice of containers that don't come back.

I figure that I am "giving" something to someone I like, so no strings attached.

CD
That's truly a sweet mentality.

But I do draw the line with my Mason Jars :giggle:
I understand entirely.

I actually give most of my eggs away. The chooks cost me money to keep, I don't mind that, but I do get to the point where I sigh a heavy sigh when I look at the egg box shelf and see it empty yet again. So the egg boxes just get a 'please return when empty written' on them. It's not uncommon to come home and find them in my letterbox... Unless I'm going to the charity shop and food bank and can give them a couple of weeks notice that I need restocking, I'm entirely reliant on my neighbours returning my boxes or having to purchase new ones in order to give away eggs! And new unused egg boxes are surprisingly difficult to purchase now and i can't sell at my eggs from the gate or to a local shop unless they are in unused egg boxes (or at least look unused). I can only use recycled ones for going to the food bank.

For some insane reason, the first thing I read was "regular mouth" and instantly thought of Julia Roberts. :D :D :hyper: :hyper:
May I be struck by a lightning bolt at breakfast time!!!!!:hyper::hyper::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
I don't get it. There's nothing regular about her mouth.

Back
Top Bottom