Recipe Quick biscuits (crackers) for cheese

The 100% rice flour crackers was disastrous. They came out white (which, I suppose could be a plus point) with slightly curled edges. They weren't pretty curled ages. The texture was semi crisp and they tasted of virtually nothing!

Well, see, we all learned from that experience. Now if you were to use the rye flour, would you mix that with the white flour, or with the rice flour? I love anything rye, and at some point, would like to try making these with the rye flour and whichever other would make them come out better.

Well, see, we all learned from that experience. Now if you were to use the rye flour, would you mix that with the white flour, or with the rice flour? I love anything rye, and at some point, would like to try making these with the rye flour and whichever other would make them come out better.
As it happens, I've been pondering the same thing! I've got some rye flour in the cupboard and will try this out today using half rice and half rye. The thing is, that this recipe is so quick to do if you just make a small batch (I've been halving the recipe quantity so as not to bake too many at a time in case they don't work!).

As it happens, I've been pondering the same thing! I've got some rye flour in the cupboard and will try this out today using half rice and half rye. The thing is, that this recipe is so quick to do if you just make a small batch (I've been halving the recipe quantity so as not to bake too many at a time in case they don't work!).

Yes, that's a good idea. I have started doing the same thing when I try a new recipe, because some of the ones I see nowadays (especially on the internet) don't seem to be tried and true like the ones I used to encounter, and I can't afford to waste ingredients. I'm very interested to hear how the half rye / half rice mix works out, it sounds like a delicious combination to me.

Jeera biscuits
8oz wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cummin
3 tblspn olive oil
4-5 teaspoon milk
Poppy seeds and cummin seeds to garnish
Mix all together to a paste then pin out cut and bake at 170degrees c

Jeera biscuits
8oz wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cummin
3 tblspn olive oil
4-5 teaspoon milk
Poppy seeds and cummin seeds to garnish
Mix all together to a paste then pin out cut and bake at 170degrees c

Jeera, of course, is Cumin seeds. Sounds great and even easier than my recipe, as no rubbing in of fat! Are these supposed to be really thin biscuits? I only ask because the addition of baking powder suggests a bit of rising...

Yes, that's a good idea. I have started doing the same thing when I try a new recipe, because some of the ones I see nowadays (especially on the internet) don't seem to be tried and true like the ones I used to encounter, and I can't afford to waste ingredients. I'm very interested to hear how the half rye / half rice mix works out, it sounds like a delicious combination to me.

Yes. I'm glad to say it worked! Only two left. I don't really know what the rice flour adds but I do suspect that if one tried to make them 100% rye they might tend to crumble and break up. I suppose I should try...

Photo on 28-09-2015 at 19.50.jpg

Yes. I'm glad to say it worked! Only two left. I don't really know what the rice flour adds but I do suspect that if one tried to make them 100% rye they might tend to crumble and break up. I suppose I should try...

View attachment 1584

@morning glory So it sounds as if the rice flour acts as a binder? I'll definitely have to see if I can find some around here. They look great, now I'm getting hungry!

@Berties What is the cooking time on your Jeera Biscuits?

I know. But as the thread was about British biscuits/crackers for eating with cheese, I was being pernickety!

Haha, you go on. I love this. I would have never thought to make my own crackers. That's pretty great. They look really tasty too.

Now, I'm going to have to try this. Darn it, I'm trying to avoid carbs, and you guys are always tempting me. :happy:

Haha, you go on. I love this. I would have never thought to make my own crackers. That's pretty great. They look really tasty too.

Now, I'm going to have to try this. Darn it, I'm trying to avoid carbs, and you guys are always tempting me. :happy:
The good thing is that they are thin, so not anywhere as calorific as a slice of bread (unless, of course, you eat too many!)

@morning glory So it sounds as if the rice flour acts as a binder? I'll definitely have to see if I can find some around here. They look great, now I'm getting hungry!

@Berties What is the cooking time on your Jeera Biscuits?
Sorry my recipes quite often you have to take them out when cooked,I do a lot of cooking by eye
As a lot of them are not from a cook book they are chefs experiments

Reporting back on the recipe using 100% rye. These did not turn out crumbly as I thought they might. The texture was OK but I have to say that the flavour was not very exciting. It was rather one-dimensional. I'm not entirely sure why. Overall the verdict on my different attempts, tested on my friend (in whose house I'm currently cooking), was that the original was best (half rice flour/half wholemeal). Next best was half rye/half rice flour.

The good thing is that they are thin, so not anywhere as calorific as a slice of bread (unless, of course, you eat too many!)

Ooooh, even better. I like crackers anyway. I prefer something a little crispy most of the time. If I eat bread, it's generally a hunk of good thick bread with real butter. Crackers are best for cheeses.

It's quite hard to get Carrs Table Water Biscuits where we live and so I've started baking my own version. It isn't my own recipe, I got it online from a cooking blog 'instructables' and it works well if you eat them as soon as they cool. They don't keep very well but there are never many left over:)

1/2 cup all purpose white flour
1 tbl spoon shortening (I use lard)
2 tbl spoons water
Salt, (pinch in the mix, ground sea salt on top when baking)

As you can see it's pretty much just a pastry mix. Once you mix all the ingredients together, roll out, cut into rectangles (or circles if you want to be fancy) prick well with a fork and bake at 200c until brownish. My oven is unreliable so it takes much longer than the recipe calls for, however you can start checking on them after about 7 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom