For the Streusel Topping:
Ingredients
6 T. softened butter.
1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour.
1 cup light brown sugar, packed.
1/2 t. cinnamon.
1/2 t. nutmeg.

Directions

1. Preheated oven to about 350 degrees. Grease or spray with cooking spray, an 8" or 9" cake pan, round or square.
  2. In medium mixing bowl, cream butter with small portable eloectric mixer until almost opague. Add sugar gradually, and continue beating until mixture is light and fluffy.
  3. Add egg, milk and vanilla extract. Continue beating. Gradually add sifted dry ingredients and beat until all ingredients are incorporated. Set aside.
  4. Meanwhile, combine all ingredients in small mixing bowl for Streusel. Mash together with large spoon to incorporated all the ingredients.
  5. Spread half of batter into prepared pan to the sides. Sprinkle half of streusel onto batter. Add remaining half of batter on top of streusel. Sprinkle remaining half of streusel on top of remaining batter.
  6. Bake in oven for about 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out dry. Remove from oven. Cool cake in pan. Remove from pan, if desired, and finish coooling on a cake rack. Enjoy! :wink:
coffee-cake-jpg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Shermie are the lower case 't' s in this recipe teaspoons and the capital 'T's tablespoons?

N.B. I added CookingBites Recipe Challenge tag as I think it is intended as an entry. Also Recipe prefix to title. To enter the challenge you need to put a link to this recipe in the Challenge thread. Please ask if you need help to do that.

Ingredients
1-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour.
1/4 t. salt.
2 T. double-acting baking powder.
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar.
1/4 cup softened butter.
1 egg.
1/3 cup milk.
1 t. vanilla extract.

For the Streusel Topping:
Ingredients
6 T. softened butter.
1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour.
1 cup light brown sugar, packed.
1/2 t. cinnamon.
1/2 t. nutmeg.

Directions

1. Preheated oven to about 350 degrees. Grease or spray with cooking spray, an 8" or 9" cake pan, round or square.
  2. In medium mixing bowl, cream butter with small portable eloectric mixer until almost opague. Add sugar gradually, and continue beating until mixture is light and fluffy.
  3. Add egg, milk and vanilla extract. Continue beating. Gradually add sifted dry ingredients and beat until all ingredients are incorporated. Set aside.
  4. Meanwhile, combine all ingredients in small mixing bowl for Streusel. Mash together with large spoon to incorporated all the ingredients.
  5. Spread half of batter into prepared pan to the sides. Sprinkle half of streusel onto batter. Add remaining half of batter on top of streusel. Sprinkle remaining half of streusel on top of remaining batter.
  6. Bake in oven for about 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out dry. Remove from oven. Cool cake in pan. Remove from pan, if desired, and finish coooling on a cake rack. Enjoy! :wink:
coffee-cake-jpg.jpg

I imagine it's a very good cake, but I can't find the coffee.....

I have a recipe that's very similar to @Shermie 's, but it uses 2 or 3 eggs, which you separate, whip the whites and fold them into the batter at the end. It is a very good coffee cake.

Ok, this is another terminology misunderstanding. Coffee cake is a cake that you eat with coffee, not necessarily a cake that contains coffee.

Right! There is no coffee in it at all. Well, there's no lobster in Lobster sauce either. It's called that because the sauce is or was served over lobster. :wink:

Last edited:
I see, but Cakes or other recipes in this Challenge must have the coffee inside, any quantity/form. I'm sorry @Shermie, but I can't consider your cake in this coffee challenge.
Would you like to enter with another recipe, maybe?

@Shermie are the lower case 't' s in this recipe teaspoons and the capital 'T's tablespoons?

N.B. I added CookingBites Recipe Challenge tag as I think it is intended as an entry. Also Recipe prefix to title. To enter the challenge you need to put a link to this recipe in the Challenge thread. Please ask if you need help to do that.

Yes. Lower case t's are for teaspoon. Upper case T's are for tablespoon. Thanks. :wink:

Ok, this is another terminology misunderstanding. Coffee cake is a cake that you eat with coffee, not necessarily a cake that contains coffee.

Yep! Its confusing - its a bit like teacakes in the UK which have no tea in them (there are also two different types):

teacake.jpg

LN_002558_BP_11.jpg

It was a new recipe for me. Tried it. Not good for the first time but the second time it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom