Quick Tasty Pork Chops

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
3:49 AM
The other day I needed a quick easy meal for dinner. I had some boneless pork chops in the refrigerator that I'd previously defrosted, and it was time to use them or toss them, so of course I cooked them.

I mixed up an equal amount of low sodium soy sauce and orange marmalade in a bowl, and dipped the chops in it. I didn't have time to marinate them, but I'm sure that would be been even better. I lined the pan with foil (although not enough, I later found out), put the chops in, and poured the rest of the sauce over the chops. I cooked them in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour, and they came out delicious.

If you make this recipe, be sure to line your pan well. I had a gap at the sides, not realizing the liquid would caramelize, and the pan ended up a big mess. I will definitely make the recipe again, though, because the sauce was perfect and the pork chops came out tasty, moist and delicious.

They sound good Diane Lane! I am on a fairly strict diet though until the end of the month, so not sure when a pork chop will again pass my lips:(, I haven't had orange marmalade in years. My guess is you could also use some kind of chutney with this recipe too and it would be great. Last time I made pork chops I made the smothered kind,,,but they liquid was too watery. My mother used to make the best ones!

The other day I needed a quick easy meal for dinner. I had some boneless pork chops in the refrigerator that I'd previously defrosted, and it was time to use them or toss them, so of course I cooked them.

I mixed up an equal amount of low sodium soy sauce and orange marmalade in a bowl, and dipped the chops in it. I didn't have time to marinate them, but I'm sure that would be been even better. I lined the pan with foil (although not enough, I later found out), put the chops in, and poured the rest of the sauce over the chops. I cooked them in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour, and they came out delicious.

If you make this recipe, be sure to line your pan well. I had a gap at the sides, not realizing the liquid would caramelize, and the pan ended up a big mess. I will definitely make the recipe again, though, because the sauce was perfect and the pork chops came out tasty, moist and delicious.
Nice one Diane and I know well about that foil not being perfectly positioned or getting a little tear. My husband is a pork lover so maybe I will share the marmalade idea with him.

This may sound weird but when we are in a hurry, we would deep fry the pork chop. And the flavoring? We just rinse it with water and let it dry a bit before frying. Yes, no flavoring whatsover. And when it's already brown and smelling good, it is cooked. After placing in a plate, a can of beans is poured on the pork chop. That's a good enough dinner with steamed rice. It is one of the favorites in our house although we seldom buy pork chops because I was diagnosed to have high cholesterol level.

They sound good Diane Lane! I am on a fairly strict diet though until the end of the month, so not sure when a pork chop will again pass my lips:(, I haven't had orange marmalade in years. My guess is you could also use some kind of chutney with this recipe too and it would be great. Last time I made pork chops I made the smothered kind,,,but they liquid was too watery. My mother used to make the best ones!

@kgord Yes, that would probably work as well. What I like about this combination of flavors is the sweet and salty effect, and the sugar in the marmalade ends up caramelizing, and that gives it a bit of a crispness, in addition to the overall taste.

Ha @winterybella I'm so glad I'm not the only one. As I was putting the foil in the pan, something told me to double it, but of course the frugal side of me said no, this is good enough. I thought I was going to have to toss the pan, but since it's one of my favorites, that wasn't really an option. I use marmalade in a lot of dishes, and since your husband likes it, he would probably enjoy the taste of these.

@Corzhens I cook my chops without any or much seasoning sometimes when I'm grilling them, but I've never tried that when frying. I often serve mine with rice, too, it's a nice combination.

This is very creative and sounds good. I will have to give it a try the next time we are having pork chops. Both my husband and I like marmalade so I know we will like this. Thanks for sharing your idea!! :)

The husband of mine could eat pork for breakfast, lunch and dinner and he has the stomach to show for it:laugh:or:(. My son keeps shaking his head in disbelief when whenever he sees how he goes at it. More than a few times he has left a terrible mess behind when he has dropped off to sleep with his pork in the oven and I'm not at home. Salt might help clean the mess easier. I've also been wondering how safe the foil is and might have even read something about it somewhere.

@Corzhens I cook my chops without any or much seasoning sometimes when I'm grilling them, but I've never tried that when frying. I often serve mine with rice, too, it's a nice combination.

When we grill pork, be it pork chop or pork belly, our usual marinade is vinegar with crushed garlic and salt plus powedered black pepper. And we grill it wrapped in banana leaves. Maybe it is psychological but the banana leaves seem to give it more flavor. And when nearing to be cooked, the banana leaves are seared and the pork chop loses the wrapping... this gives the rind to be crunchy.

When we grill pork, be it pork chop or pork belly, our usual marinade is vinegar with crushed garlic and salt plus powedered black pepper. And we grill it wrapped in banana leaves. Maybe it is psychological but the banana leaves seem to give it more flavor. And when nearing to be cooked, the banana leaves are seared and the pork chop loses the wrapping... this gives the rind to be crunchy.

I've never used plain vinegar, although I have made marinades in the past that included balsamic vinegar, so I guess it would be somewhat similar. I don't have banana leaves here, although I could probably snitch some from the next street over, where they have some banana plants. Maybe the leaves protect the pork from the flame, so they don't get overdone?

@winterybella Oh no, I hope y'all have a nice vent fan or some other odor removal system. I don't, and regardless of what I cook (or overcook, on occasion), the house smells like it for at least a day. I try not to cook when my chronic fatigue is acting up, but like your husband, I do occasionally doze off while cooking. These days, I keep a kitchen timer handy, and will put it by my side if I have to nap while something is baking. The ticking sound soothes me to sleep, and the ding when it goes off always wakes me just in time to avert disaster.

This recipe does indeed sound good. I wonder if instead of using orange marmalade you could use some thick orange juice I've boiled to a glaze? I still have some leftover from a ham I made earlier this month!

@Corzhens We do that as well! The most common and easy to get vinegar here is white cane vinegar. To buy the others are usually more expensive. So I tend to use the plain old one on my seasonings, pickles and dressings.

@winterybella That happened to me alot too previously! I saved my money and budgeted so much until I could afford a decent toaster/convectional oven. Now I just time all my cooking. When it beeps I know it is finished. I get distracted easily and usually I am working along side my cooking. This prevents any nasty clean ups. Also, grease remover is pretty awesome with spills like this!

@aquaticneko I've had my share of burnt things. I can blame the forum for what my husband calls my 'burnt offerings' once or twice. I have the toaster oven for small things but truth of the matter is I don't even know exactly how to use it. I just use it for small things, turn a button and hope for the best. Right now I have some fries baking in there and after I hear the ping I will check to see if they are done. I've never really used it correctly I suppose or for things like pork. Maybe I should.

Back
Top Bottom