Recipe Quinoa and Bean Stuffed Peppers

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
1:08 PM
20210503_103142.jpg

I am doing this on my phone and did not edit photo.
Quinoa and Bean Stuffed Peppers
NOTE: I like my peppers with a little texture. If you want the peppers fully cooked scald cored peppers in boiling water for 2 minutes. Use tongs to remove from the boiling water and drain water from the cavity. Drop into a bowl of ice water to stop cooking. When cool drain water from the cavity and set cut side down on a towel.
INGREDIENTS
1 Cup uncooked Quinoa
2 Cups Vegetable Stock
1 15 oz. can Black Beans - rinsed and drained
1 15 oz. can Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans - rinsed and drained
1 10 oz. package frozen Edamame - defrosted and shucked
6 large Bell Peppers - any color. Make sure the base is uniform so they sit upright.
1 medium yellow/brown Onion - fine dice
2 small or 1 large clove Garlic - minced
1 TBSP EVOO
2 TBSP Butter
4 Cups + shredded Sharp Cheddar (from a block of cheese) - divided
NOTE: I initially planned to use Mozzarella or Monterey Jack. After tasting the filling I thought it needed an extra kick flavor.
1/2 Cup dry white wine or Vegetable stock
2 Tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice NOTE: When I tasted the filling it needed a little acid.
1/2 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1+ Tsp. fresh ground black pepper
Sea Salt to taste
METHOD
Heat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C or Gas Mark 5)
Wash and drain the Quinoa in a fine mesh sieve. In a saucepan bring Vegetable Stock and Quinoa to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
Cut the tops off the peppers. Remove seeds and pith. Trim the pepper from the stems and dice. If you want the peppers soft scald.
In a Sauté pan heat EVOO and Butter until butter stops foaming. Add onions. Cook until tender. Add Red Pepper flakes, garlic, diced Bell Pepper and wine or stock. Cook until the liquid has evaporated. Add Quinoa, Black Beans, Chick Peas, Edamame and 2 cups shredded cheese. Stir to combine. Add Black Pepper and salt to taste.
Stuff the peppers with the filling. Place peppers in a 9" x 12" glass pan. Pour 1/2" water in base of pan.
Bake 35 minutes. Remove from oven and top each pepper with a generous amount of shredded cheese. Loosely tent with foil. Cook 10 to 15 minutes - until cheese is melted and bubbly.

This was my first experience with Quinoa and my first intentional Vegetarian dish. I was very pleasantly surprised. I did not tell G that the peppers were Vegetarian. He dove in and kept looking at the filling. He finally asked what was in the stuffing. I reminded him that his Doctor recommended replacing some red meat meals with vegetable protein. He really liked the taste and the textures. After dinner he did have one comment. "Those peppers would be over the top if you added shrimp."
I put the remaining peppers on a sheet pan to freeze. Once frozen I will vacuum seal.
Thank you for the Quinoa Challenge.

Last edited:
What did George think of it? Just curious. I have a funny feeling it would be about the same reaction at my home.
G dove into the pepper. I could see him inspecting the filling. He asked what it was. I told him and reminded him that his Doctor recommended occasionally substituting Vegetable protein for red meat. He liked it. He did have an after dinner comment. "It would have been over the top if you put shrimp in it."
Shame on me for my prejudice. I anticipated a negative reaction from my carnivore. He asked if I made enough to freeze. Go figure. I think I managed to produce a flavorful dish with nice texture. G did not really miss the meat. Win win.
Had I skipped the cheese his reaction would not have been as positive.

G dove into the pepper. I could see him inspecting the filling. He asked what it was. I told him and reminded him that his Doctor recommended occasionally substituting Vegetable protein for red meat. He liked it. He did have an after dinner comment. "It would have been over the top if you put shrimp in it."
Shame on me for my prejudice. I anticipated a negative reaction from my carnivore. He asked if I made enough to freeze. Go figure. I think I managed to produce a flavorful dish with nice texture. G did not really miss the meat. Win win.

Bravo!

Wow, I am seriously surprised after everything you have written about him, but
:thumbsup:

I love this and I love that G loved it too. I don't think it would hurt to add some chopped shrimp to it in the future to please him. You could probably use a bare minimum, just for texture and flavor. But very well done.

Back
Top Bottom