Quiz: Black Stuff

....and it seems they are poisonous!

Health warning
Healthcare professionals have warned against overindulgence in Pontefract Cake after a 56-year-old woman was admitted to hospital following an overdose. The woman consumed about 200g daily leading to dangerously low potassium levels and subsequent muscle failure. The European Commission recommends limiting consumption of the active ingredient, glycyrrhizic acid, to 100 mg or less per day.[9]

OK, I know I said I'd post the solution on Friday, but I thought I'd give you all an extra day.:whistling:

SOLUTION

black garlic, black tomato, black beans (turtle beans)
black truffles, black lentils, black (squid ink) pasta
silkie*, caviar, black rice

*A silkie is a type of chicken or bantam (different classifications according to country). It is mainly eaten in China.
The Silkie (sometimes alternatively spelled Silky) is a breed of chicken named for its atypically fluffy plumage, which is said to feel like silk. The breed has several other unusual qualities, such as black skin and bones, blue earlobes, and five toes on each foot, whereas most chickens only have four. They are often exhibited in poultry shows, and appear in various colors.

Silkie.jpg

But have you eaten any part of one MG?
I think C33 or MG (or anyone else for that matter) should only put these up if they have actually eaten pictured items!!!
How would that help you?

Bottom middle could only have been caviar. But sadly, I have not eaten all of them often enough (!!) to know which sort - beluga, osetra or the other one.
Which one is it @morning glory ? And is it silkie you have not eaten?
Yes. Its silkie I haven't eaten. Really difficult to find it here - its mostly eaten in Asia. People here tend to keep them as pets because they look so pretty. The caviar is (I think) Beluga. I've not had that one but have had Arugula (I think in the USA it may not be classified as caviar because its not from the sturgeon), but its on sale here as type of caviar. Sevruga and sterlet are the two other types.

You were the only one to get the caviar answer (well done) although @classic33, obliquely described it as eggs. The clue was the rim of the tin visible in the image.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom