Ramen anyone?

Frizz1974

Veteran
Local time
10:39 AM
[Mod.Edit: post moved to form new topic (MG)]

Ramen is the most trendy thing in Sydney now.

There are loads of standard shopping centre food court type noodle places that will have ramen on the menu but Sydney is getting some really serious ramen action recently though for my own taste you can’t go past Gumshara which is probably the longest running in Sydney.
They make an amazing tonkotsu

Maybe we need a ramen thread? 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never had proper Ramen, it's still on my culinary try before I die list.

I've had plenty of noodle soup, especially Indomie but I won't call that ramen.

Someone explain to me why ramen is so special. Isn't it simply a good broth/stock with noodles and other things added? It almost seems like anything can be added within reason. Maybe I misunderstand.

Someone explain to me why ramen is so special. Isn't it simply a good broth/stock with noodles and other things added? It almost seems like anything can be added within reason. Maybe I misunderstand.
No idea, I personally thought it was as good as any other soup but not overwhelmingly great.

You're right, there are many variations, for me I like plenty of shredded fresh veg and herbs. It's special when it is made with excellent stock, otherwise it's just another soup.

No idea, I personally thought it was as good as any other soup but not overwhelmingly great.

My hunch is that its trendy because:
  • Its instagram photogenic (is there a portmanteau word for that?)
  • It looks 'healthy'
  • It fairly cheap for restaurants to make and then mark up. Also easy to make so long as you have the stock/broth made.
Call me cynical.

Of course I would eat that. For the perfect presentation, your noodles need to be more visible. :D
They sink. The noodles tend to be at the bottom of the bowl. This is fine by me, as I am far more interested in the broth and the other ingredients, and how they interplay.

Back
Top Bottom