Ramen anyone?

. Went around and found a ramen soup photo from the earlier mentioned COVID-defunct restaurant. This dish was awesome! Yes, the noodles don't float. And I wish this place had survived.

Tonkotsu Ramen Soup

j-ramen-ramen.jpg

A lovely pork-based ramen soup.

They sink. The noodles tend to be at the bottom of the bowl. This is fine by me, as I am far more interested in the broth and the other ingredients, and how they interplay.

I'm going by the images I see when I google 'ramen' where the noodles seem to be very visible. Maybe it depends on the bowl used?

I'm going by the images I see when I google 'ramen' where the noodles seem to be very visible. Maybe it depends on the bowl used?
May depend on the bowl, or if the bowl got mixed just before the photo was taken. I know in that case I took the photo as it was presented. I think that was a photo from the last time I got to eat there - and there were more than enough ramen noodles underneath!

Good question, though!

This is the only ramen I’ve ever seen, ever eaten, or ever heard about:

View attachment 83152

…and I’m perfectly ok with that. :laugh:

We lived off that and the boxed mac-n-cheese for weeks back in college when money was tight. But, talk about sodium bombs. :eek:

I have also never had a proper restaurant or scratch ramen, but want to.

CD

We lived off that and the boxed mac-n-cheese for weeks back in college when money was tight. But, talk about sodium bombs. :eek:

I have also never had a proper restaurant or scratch ramen, but want to.

CD
And fat bombs. They are nothing like the ramen in restaurants. In fact, I saw some sort of video on how indigestable the packet ones are. They come out the other end nearly intact!

Along the Gulf coast of Texas and Louisiana, Vietnamese food is everywhere. Their noodle soup, Phở, is VERY common. My hometown of Port Arthur has a huge Vietnamese community. Fisherman fleeing Vietnam after the war settled along the Gulf coast, and became fishermen there.

Even up here in Dallas, Phở is probably easier to find then Ramen.

CD

Along the Gulf coast of Texas and Louisiana, Vietnamese food is everywhere. Their noodle soup, Phở, is VERY common. My hometown of Port Arthur has a huge Vietnamese community. Fisherman fleeing Vietnam after the war settled along the Gulf coast, and became fishermen there.

CD
Funny, because my husband's poker buddy, who is from Cambodia, owns a Chinese restaurant that serves sushi as well as Americanized Chinese fare for both dine-in and take-out, and his brother opened a Thai restaurant. They serve Phở at both places, LOL! And it's really darned good. But the brother is married to a Thai gal (and yes, Yorky, she was born female and they have children to prove it, LOL).

But it's typical of "ethnic" restaurants in the midwest. One of my favorite "Mexican" restaurants has workers from Guatamela and other Latin American countries as well as Mexico (no gringos though).

Sorry for going off topic here.

Someone explain to me why ramen is so special. Isn't it simply a good broth/stock with noodles and other things added? It almost seems like anything can be added within reason. Maybe I misunderstand.

Here is a really well written explanation of what goes into good ramen by Sydney food journalist Helen Yee when she got into the kitchen at my favourite ramen place.

Gumshara Ramen, Eating World, Haymarket Chinatown, Sydney | Grab Your Fork: A Sydney food blog

bUm MG, do you suppose that maybe some food styling went into those photos? :scratchhead:
Of course. But you should know me by now. I checked documentary footage of markets/ramen eateries in Japan etc. They seem to put a lot of noodles heaped up in the bowl - also more on the side in some cases!

Of course. But you should know me by now. I checked documentary footage of markets/ramen eateries in Japan etc. They seem to put a lot of noodles heaped up in the bowl - also more on the side in some cases!

One of the YouTube channels I watch is a guy who eats a lot of Asian food, including a ton of Ramen (seriously, this guy can eat like a machine). I've seen both, with noodles showing and with noodles below the top of the broth. I have also seen him order a second bowl of noodles to add to the broth when the first noodles are gone.

CD

In Hawaii, Saimin is the thing, not so much Ramen.
IMG_4121.JPG

You can have it as a soup
deluxe-saimin-bowl.jpg

or stir fried with loads of goodies added in
Fried Saimin .jpg

There are so many different Asian ethnicities that immigrated to Hawaii over the generations, and all of them brought their cuisines with them. Over the years, everyone's dishes got "Hawaiian-nized", the mixing of cultures. Many deeply loved dishes in Hawaii, you would never find anywhere else, even the continental United States or mainland as we call it.

Oh my gosh!
Did you hear that?
That was stomach asking for some noodles :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom