Ramen anyone?

In Hawaii, Saimin is the thing, not so much Ramen.
View attachment 83161
You can have it as a soup
View attachment 83162
or stir fried with loads of goodies added in
View attachment 83163

There are so many different Asian ethnicities that immigrated to Hawaii over the generations, and all of them brought their cuisines with them. Over the years, everyone's dishes got "Hawaiian-nized", the mixing of cultures. Many deeply loved dishes in Hawaii, you would never find anywhere else, even the continental United States or mainland as we call it.

Oh my gosh!
Did you hear that?
That was stomach asking some noodles :D

In the Houston area, a big trend is Vietnamese/Cajun fusion. I don't know if that has made its way to Phở, or other noodle dishes.

CD

I found only one place here in Cowboyville Arizona that serves both Ramen and Pho.
When I looked it up on yelp and saw the photos, meh, pass :headshake:
I'll continue to make my own at home.

IMG_0124.JPG

This bowl of Saimin is topped with Crispy Spam, steamed Shrimp, Baby Bok Choy, Kamaboko or Japanese steamed Fish Cake and Won Ton aka Pork and Veggie Dumplings.
The Soup base is a hondashi, and there goes my tummy again saying, GIMME!!! :hungry:

Someone explain to me why ramen is so special. Isn't it simply a good broth/stock with noodles and other things added? It almost seems like anything can be added within reason. Maybe I misunderstand.

People who love ramen often describe it as comfort food. It is something you crave on a cold, wet day.

CD

Someone explain to me why ramen is so special. Isn't it simply a good broth/stock with noodles and other things added? It almost seems like anything can be added within reason. Maybe I misunderstand.

Yes, there is a good broth involved but not just any old broth; take the commonly found 'tonkotsu' pork bone broth - it is very highly concentrated and rich, and quite labour intensive/time consuming to make. You can find how the ramen 'masters' make a huge vat of it early in the morning each day on Youtube. And like many things in Japan, they have elevated the making of every part of the dish - the broth, the noodles, the charsiu, the soft boiled egg, the bamboo shoots etc. to a fine art.

Yes, there is a good broth involved but not just any old broth; take the commonly found 'tonkotsu' pork bone broth - it is very highly concentrated and rich, and quite labour intensive/time consuming to make. You can find how the ramen 'masters' make a huge vat of it early in the morning each day on Youtube. And like many things in Japan, they have elevated the making of every part of the dish - the broth, the noodles, the charsiu, the soft boiled egg, the bamboo shoots etc. to a fine art.
Yes, the broth is the reason these people get up in the morning. There is a special umami and emulsification of the pork fat and water going on from the long cooking time that is also fragile and of course what makes ramen so unmistakable and remarkable. If it chicken stock, It's not ramen, it's chicken soup hehehe. Cheers. None in my area or actually worth a trip unfortunately and I'm certainly not going to attempt to prepare it properly which translates into no ramen for me until I get into the big smoke, which isn't often. Cheers

Last edited:
I may wait until it cools down again, but I'd like to get the ingredients for dashi and make various versions of ramen with it. Seems easy enough if I can order the ingredients. But I'm not big on soup when it's warm.

Back
Top Bottom