Rasins, Chestnuts sausage or stuffing additives

kgord

Veteran
Local time
3:14 PM
I am usually a purist and only put spices in my stuffing, however I have heard of all of these being added, and have tried different stuffing types. I have also heard of using oysters in stuffing. What do you add to your stuffing, or are you a a purist?

Im a boring purest I'm afraid. Sage and onion stuffing for me, with nothing added or taken away. I can't understand why anyone would want to ruin good stuffing by putting all sorts of gunk into it. But of course thats just my opinion.

We rarely cook a whole stuffed chicken but we have our original recipe. Chestnut is one good stuffing for turkey or chicken because the nutty taste melds with the meat of the fowl. We actually include pork strips as stuffing but we normally use peanuts and cashew because chestnuts are available here during the Christmas season only. We also do not use raisins because it would ruin the mixture of pork and nuts, raisin will sweeten the sauce (or is it called broth?).

I am usually a purist and only put spices in my stuffing, however I have heard of all of these being added, and have tried different stuffing types. I have also heard of using oysters in stuffing. What do you add to your stuffing, or are you a a purist?
What is your stuffing made from @kgord? Do you mean a sausage meat stuffing? And I'm thinking when you say 'only spices' you mean herbs and spices? In the UK there is a famous packet brand of sage and onion stuffing which is a traditional turkey or chicken stuffing made of breadcrumbs, sage and onion. I sometimes buy it because its vegetarian, so if I cook it separately from the bird or meat, then my daughter can have some.

Otherwise, I've be known to put all manner of things into a stuffing. Chestnuts, of course are very traditional and some would say that if you are a purist then that's what you should be using! But I've used prunes, all kinds of nuts, chopped bacon, barley, apples, cranberries, apricots.... I could go on but I think you get the idea!

When I am making stuffing along with the onions and sage I usually add sausage or bacon, apples and cranberries. I like to experiment with it by adding different things to give it extra flavour.

I use chestnuts but make stuffing balls.... I can't remember what else goes in apart from cranberries, without looking up the recipe (woman's institute Christmas book - which I'm not near).

Back
Top Bottom