Recipe Raspberry Clafoutis

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:37 PM
This is for @Duck59 (Cherry Clafoutis was the solution to a clue in Cryptic food and drink). Clafoutis is a French dessert originating in the Limousin region traditionally made with cherries. I couldn't find any cherries so decided to make a raspberry version. This recipe is from http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/raspberry-clafoutis/12694/

Here is how mine turned out - I think perhaps I should have used more raspberries as I would have liked to have more poking out of the top...

IMGP0442.jpg

Photographed today in natural light

Ingredients
  • ½ cup ground almonds
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1 cup fresh raspberries
  • Icing sugar for dusting
Method
Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Grease a 9-inch pie plate or other baking dish and place this on a baking tray.

Stir the ground almonds, granulated sugar, brown sugar and cornstarch together. Add the eggs, egg yolks and cream and whisk by hand until blended. Pour this into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the raspberries.

Bake for about 35 minutes, until the clafoutis browns lightly and soufflés around the edges (it will fall once removed from the oven). Serve immediately, dusted with icing sugar.

IMGP0441.jpg

Eggs and egg yolks? Yikes.

I like the idea of raspberries, though. I'll take raspberries in anything. Well, maybe not a curry.
I think there are recipes that just use eggs not yolks. There doesn't seem to be a classic definitive recipe. I like raspberries too and in an experimental phase tried to put them with beef in a stew. Enough said....

Perhaps! I'm always experimenting and sometimes it works. At the moment its melon... I'm trying to develop savoury recipes with melon - melon being the Challenge ingredient.

Perhaps! I'm always experimenting and sometimes it works. At the moment its melon... I'm trying to develop savoury recipes with melon - melon being the Challenge ingredient.
Melon is the Challenge ingredient? I missed that. Thanks for the heads up and your Raspberry Clafoutis( had to scroll up to spell the last word) looks great but I am sure it's not going to be on my to do list anytime soon. Raspberries are not things I see around here that often and I assure you they will be a pretty penny wherever they can be found.

Melon is the Challenge ingredient? I missed that. Thanks for the heads up and your Raspberry Clafoutis( had to scroll up to spell the last word) looks great but I am sure it's not going to be on my to do list anytime soon. Raspberries are not things I see around here that often and I assure you they will be a pretty penny wherever they can be found.

Yes, melon is the challenge ingredient. I am surprised you missed it. One week is almost gone for the challenge now. In relation to the raspberries, I agree that they would be quite pricey when seen around here. Actually, I don't know if I have ever seen them around here. We do get raspberry jam though. I find that the taste of raspberry jam and strawberry jam is close.

Yes, melon is the challenge ingredient. I am surprised you missed it. One week is almost gone for the challenge now. In relation to the raspberries, I agree that they would be quite pricey when seen around here. Actually, I don't know if I have ever seen them around here. We do get raspberry jam though. I find that the taste of raspberry jam and strawberry jam is close.
I am just not into jams period. I've had some around here for eons that probably need throwing out. I saw some raspberries in Walmart while I was traveling recently and thought to pick some up but didn't in the end. I feel sure I have seen them in JBs back in the day- very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom