Raspberry jam, just made.

image.jpeg

These are used jars that have been washed and sterilised. There's another jar in the fridge that had a funny lid. I don't think it sealed properly so will use it first. Sitting back listening to the lids pop and seal. Do you guys make jam?

Russ

These are used jars that have been washed and sterilised. There's another jar in the fridge that had a funny lid. I don't think it sealed properly so will use it first. Sitting back listening to the lids pop and seal. Do you guys make jam?

Russ

I haven't made any for ages - its really only worth making if you have a fruit glut and grow your own, I think. I planted two berry bushes last year (gooseberry and redcurrant) which yielded precisely nothing! I don't seem to have much luck gardening unless I count window boxes.

A few years ago I made raspberry jam, strictly followed a recipe, it was far too sweet. My husband doesn't eat jam and I eat very little so I won't bother again.

Simple same quantities of pulp and sugar. Boil for 20 minutes on slow stirring. Simple. To make coulis, which I also make, just sieve then bottle. Great on ice cream.

Russ

Not since I was last in Cornwall. Although I spotted clotted cream in my local supermarket about 2 months ago. It was very expensive. I will buy some.

Russ

I've only started making jam in the last couple of years so I'm still learning. I started with a sweet chilli jam when we had a glut of chillies a couple of summers ago. I thought it came out well for my first attempt at jam, Its a very soft set but it makes a great substitute for sweet chilli sauce.:okay:

Last year I tried a rhubarb and vanilla jam: this one came out a bit too firm but the flavour was good, if a little too sweet. Next time I'll reduce the sugar and I'll peel the rhubarb because some of the skins are a bit tough so the texture of the jam isn't great.

I also made strawberry jam when we had a glut of strawberries from the allotment - I was really pleased with this one. The set is just about right and the flavour is great - I made sure I didn't cook it for too long so that the berries retained their freshness. I also reduced the amount of sugar compared to the recipe so that it isn't too sweet.

We've just planted some raspberries, currants and blueberries on the allotment so I'm looking forward to new jam flavours soon - though I'm not sure whether we'll get a good crop from them in the first season.

I've only started making jam in the last couple of years so I'm still learning. I started with a sweet chilli jam when we had a glut of chillies a couple of summers ago. I thought it came out well for my first attempt at jam, Its a very soft set but it makes a great substitute for sweet chilli sauce.:okay:

Last year I tried a rhubarb and vanilla jam: this one came out a bit too firm but the flavour was good, if a little too sweet. Next time I'll reduce the sugar and I'll peel the rhubarb because some of the skins are a bit tough so the texture of the jam isn't great.

I also made strawberry jam when we had a glut of strawberries from the allotment - I was really pleased with this one. The set is just about right and the flavour is great - I made sure I didn't cook it for too long so that the berries retained their freshness. I also reduced the amount of sugar compared to the recipe so that it isn't too sweet.

We've just planted some raspberries, currants and blueberries on the allotment so I'm looking forward to new jam flavours soon - though I'm not sure whether we'll get a good crop from them in the first season.

I just made some strawberry jam with mr 6 my grandson. He stirred everything and added sugar. He's so chuffed he's taking 2 jars home. Raspberries are beautiful but some new canes aren't producing as much as I hoped. Blackberries also. I've eaten about 10 but not enough to make jam. Next year should be a bumper.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom