Recent Food Making Firsts!

sorrowscall

Veteran
Local time
12:02 AM
Yesterday was my first experience with Strawberry Jam. I wanted to share about all of what I did with you all here on the forum. The first thing I did was go to a wonderful strawberry field and pick the strawberries so that they were all fresh. Between myself and the rest of my family, we filled 7 boxes! When we got home, I helped separate the juiciest of the berries from the others. Mrs. Samara, the woman I was helping, said she at some point added pectin into the strawberry jam but I do not know if it was after crushing or after adding the other stuff. Unfortunately, I didn't help with that part. The only other part I did get to help with was taking a class cup and using the bottom to smoosh the juicy strawberries in a pot until they looked sort of like dark red preservatives. I'm sad to say I think I only got about 80% of the full experience, and my favorite part was probably plucking the strawberries fresh from the farm. I felt like a kid, eating the berries as I did every now and then.

So, that's my story. That's what I've done recently as far as making something that I've never done before. What about the rest of you? Have any of you made anything recently that you've never made before? What was the process? Did you succeed?

Does it count if it was my first time, but a failure?
I tried making some homemade noodles. Don't be fooled, if you are trying it for the first time it may be worth it once you know what you're doing.

I tried making some homemade noodles. Don't be fooled, if you are trying it for the first time it may be worth it once you know what you're doing.
I think it should count! After all, it's a food making experience right? That's what's important here! The memory of the attempt! Were they oriental noodles or Italian? Were they too stringy? What did you like about it? What didn't you? It was your first time trying, so by all means share anything you want about the experience!

Don't feel too bad. My first and only attempt at homemade noodles was a complete failure. My family wouldn't finish what was on their plate. I never bothered to try again because it was too hard.

My most recent first I think was probably bringing a gluten free, low sugar breakfast bar dish to Easter sunrise service. I was surprised that so many people actually ate it.

Zojirushi BBCCX20..jpg
Zojirushi%20Loaf%20at%20PHG.jpg
View attachment 865 View attachment 866

In addition to making good loaves of freshly baked bread, my Zojirushi Bread Machine can also make jams, & I have made strawberry jam in it, right inside the baking pan!! :wink:

Last edited:
things can only get better,all new dishes or techniques can be easy to do but easy to get wrong some dishes take me a few times to perfect
:chef:

Yesterday was my first experience with Strawberry Jam. I wanted to share about all of what I did with you all here on the forum. The first thing I did was go to a wonderful strawberry field and pick the strawberries so that they were all fresh. Between myself and the rest of my family, we filled 7 boxes! When we got home, I helped separate the juiciest of the berries from the others. Mrs. Samara, the woman I was helping, said she at some point added pectin into the strawberry jam but I do not know if it was after crushing or after adding the other stuff. Unfortunately, I didn't help with that part. The only other part I did get to help with was taking a class cup and using the bottom to smoosh the juicy strawberries in a pot until they looked sort of like dark red preservatives. I'm sad to say I think I only got about 80% of the full experience, and my favorite part was probably plucking the strawberries fresh from the farm. I felt like a kid, eating the berries as I did every now and then.

So, that's my story. That's what I've done recently as far as making something that I've never done before. What about the rest of you? Have any of you made anything recently that you've never made before? What was the process? Did you succeed?
if strawberry jam was your first jam ,you did very well as its the hardest jam to make
:highfive:

if strawberry jam was your first jam ,you did very well as its the hardest jam to make
:highfive:

It IS hard to make, and instructions must be followed to the letter. You must make sure that you dot the I's & cross the T's! :headshake:

It IS hard to make, and instructions must be followed to the letter. You must make sure that you dot the I's & cross the T's! :headshake:
Strawberries are one of the low pectin fruits,though the ripe fruits contain more or tin,which does help to set the jam some put in a lemon to improve the process others use a liquid pectin or a specific jam making sugar that contains pectin ,it is experience fell and methodical testing that wins the day,apple gets added to jams ie rSpberry and apple as it is high and gives a nice set finish same as my beloved quinces

I have not made anything new in a while. I am so impressed with Sorrowscall making jam and after hearing it is not the easiest thing to make even more impressed. Like I said elsewhere I have been in the kitchen for years and still have not made a jam or even considered making one. Picking the boxes of strawberries got me excited and a little jealous to tell the truth. Strawberries here are ridiculously expensive. When I travel I buy as many as I can eat and sometimes bring some home.

Still, about recent success it would be my banana or coconut bread and that was not recently as in the last week. In the case of the banana bread which I repeated about two weeks ago, the second attempt was not as great as my first showing.

Back
Top Bottom