Recreational stuff

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
1:26 AM
[Mod.edit: posts moved to new thread as off topic in the original thread (MG)]

For some of us it still is :laugh:
I did my share of experimentation - decades ago. Now I stick to wine, probably too much, and an occasional cocktail. Middle Sister prepared lunch for us yesterday. We got on the subject of weed. My thing is I would never smoke it again. Cookies or brownies - wellll maybe. I will never buy it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did my share of experimentation - decades ago. Now I stick to wine, probably too much, and an occasional cocktail. Middle Sister prepared lunch for us yesterday. We got on the subject of weed. My thing is I would never smoke it again. Cookies or brownies - wellll maybe. I will never buy it again.
Yeah, I haven't paid for it in years. A family member on my husband's side gives it to us, and it's not homegrown, that's for sure. I love edibles but it's hard to control how much you ingest that way, which can be a bit unsettling when the product is very strong, LOL. Best to be prepared to not have to go anywhere for the evening and not to drink too much (if at all) along with it. Now that it's becoming legal for recreation in many states I don't worry so much. When the kids were living at home we never did that. Now they are all adults out on their own and it's no big deal to them what we do, as long as it's in moderation and not a danger to anyone's health or well-being.

Yeah, I haven't paid for it in years. A family member on my husband's side gives it to us, and it's not homegrown, that's for sure. I love edibles but it's hard to control how much you ingest that way, which can be a bit unsettling when the product is very strong, LOL. Best to be prepared to not have to go anywhere for the evening and not to drink too much (if at all) along with it. Now that it's becoming legal for recreation in many states I don't worry so much. When the kids were living at home we never did that. Now they are all adults out on their own and it's no big deal to them what we do, as long as it's in moderation and not a danger to anyone's health or well-being.

Kinda' the same here. If it was legal in Texas, I would buy it, but it's not. Although, I think possession of an ounce or less in Texas is now a misdemeanor, and punishment is a fine -- no jail time.

Even where it is legal in the US, it is not cheap, so it would have to be an occasional "treat" on my budget.

I've never tried cocaine, ecstasy, or anything else harder than weed. That stuff scares me.

CD

I've never tried cocaine, ecstasy, or anything else harder than weed. That stuff scares me.

CD
Agreed on the danger of doing hard drugs. I did a few back in the 80s, just experimenting, and said, "Never again." I know people my age (near 60) and older who still do that crap. Stupid.

Kinda' the same here. If it was legal in Texas, I would buy it, but it's not. Although, I think possession of an ounce or less in Texas is now a misdemeanor, and punishment is a fine -- no jail time.

Even where it is legal in the US, it is not cheap, so it would have to be an occasional "treat" on my budget.

CD

The guys I hung round with in my early teens started doing acid parties, that's when I chose another pathway, one I've never regretted. My best friend who I parted company with at the time called in to see my mum just before she died. My mum rang and said he called in to see her, she said he was like a zombie, not all there!!

Russ

Despite my hippy days back in the '60s, I never touched weed or any drugs with the exception of alcohol. My son got himself in a very bad way as a result of the former when he was very young. It messed with his growing brain. He never really got over it, although he is clean now. He still has psychotic issues. Of course, it doesn't necessarily affect everyone in that way but its certainly not a good idea to be using it regularly. Whoever said weed wasn't addictive was wrong. Maybe dependency is the right word rather than addiction but at the end of the day it is bad news.

Agreed on the danger of doing hard drugs. I did a few back in the 80s, just experimenting, and said, "Never again." I know people my age (near 60) and older who still do that crap. Stupid.

I have always been afraid to even try it. I was even reluctant to take the pain killers they prescribed after my recent surgery, but my RN sister told me that the one they prescribed was not one of the ones people get addicted to.

CD

Despite my hippy days back in the '60s, I never touched weed or any drugs with the exception of alcohol. My son got himself in a very bad way as a result of the former when he was very young. It messed with his growing brain. He never really got over it, although he is clean now. He still has psychotic issues. Of course, it doesn't necessarily affect everyone in that way but its certainly not a good idea to be using it regularly. Whoever said weed wasn't addictive was wrong. Maybe dependency is the right word rather than addiction but at the end of the day it is bad news.

Weed isn't physically addictive in the way that opioids, and even alcohol are. You can get emotionally addicted to it, but you can get emotionally addicted to anything. My dad was a workaholic. 50-plus how work weeks were the norm for him -- and he loved it. You might say that he "got high on work." He still can't just sit and do nothing at 88. "I work, therefore I am," to paraphrase Descartes.

CD

I think there are tons of legal things that can be quite addictive. I suppose some people are just more predisposed to becoming dependent or addicted to a substance or an activity. Some people it's drugs, some it's booze, some it's food, some it's exercise, etc.

I can go on vacation with my husband to Mexico or wherever, and at night with cocktails I might smoke a few cigarettes. Never during the day and only with a cocktail. When we get back home, I don't touch them and can go months or longer without the slightest desire to smoke.

I have always been afraid to even try it. I was even reluctant to take the pain killers they prescribed after my recent surgery, but my RN sister told me that the one they prescribed was not one of the ones people get addicted to.

CD
I tried some pills in my early 20s, I didn't like the way they made me feel. I had a friend who had back surgery and became heavily addicted to opioids, so sad. I had a tooth pulled last year and the Vicodin just took the edge off and allowed me to sleep, and once the 6 pills were gone I transitioned to Ibuprofen (Motrin) and Naproxen (Aleve) quite easily.

I think there are tons of legal things that can be quite addictive. I suppose some people are just more predisposed to becoming dependent or addicted to a substance or an activity. Some people it's drugs, some it's booze, some it's food, some it's exercise, etc.

I can go on vacation with my husband to Mexico or wherever, and at night with cocktails I might smoke a few cigarettes. Never during the day and only with a cocktail. When we get back home, I don't touch them and can go months or longer without the slightest desire to smoke.

My sister is emotionally addicted to food, and is very obese because of that. Eating makes her "feel good." She has told me that she often eats when she's not even hungry. That's addiction, in my view.

CD

I love edibles but it's hard to control how much you ingest that way, which can be a bit unsettling when the product is very strong, LOL. Best to be prepared to not have to go anywhere for the evening and not to drink too much (if at all) along with it.
Taking just one hit of pot is quite easy, but who ever heard of just eating one bite of a cookie or brownie? LMAO!

My sister is emotionally addicted to food, and is very obese because of that. Eating makes her "feel good." She has told me that she often eats when she's not even hungry. That's addiction, in my view.

CD
That was me for a long time.

I kid you not, when I went to food counseling after I was diagnosed with diabetes, the counselor mentioned the first day that it takes something like 20 minutes for the brain to figure out the stomach is full, and what did that mean to us.

My answer was that it meant to eat as much as possible the first 20 minutes, before the brain caught on, and everyone laughed and thought I was making a joke, but I wasn't. That's what it meant to me.

I agree that some people are predisposed to becoming addicted. I tried pot with my now ex-h and it did nothing for me. Same with cigarettes and alcohol. I sometimes have a glass of wine or a beer here and there but I never crave either and have never been drunk. My body also doesn't respond to prescription medications the way it does for others.

Years ago I worked with a woman that was attending AA meetings three times a day. I tried explaining to her that an activity, even a "good" one, can be addictive. She was just changing the vice. She never really understood and I put some distance between us when she started trying to control my life.

I believe that anything that monopolizes our thoughts and actions to the point that we are unable to stop and prioritize what is truly important is a potential problem.

That was me for a long time.

I kid you not, when I went to food counseling after I was diagnosed with diabetes, the counselor mentioned the first day that it takes something like 20 minutes for the brain to figure out the stomach is full, and what did that mean to us.

My answer was that it meant to eat as much as possible the first 20 minutes, before the brain caught on, and everyone laughed and thought I was making a joke, but I wasn't. That's what it meant to me.
I've heard that food addiction is one of the hardest addictions to break because, unlike drugs or alcohol, one cannot live without consuming food and that first bite can easily lead to way more than what the body needs to sustain itself.

Back
Top Bottom