Red beans and???

kana_marie

Veteran
Local time
2:59 PM
I'm getting ready to make red beans and rice tonight. The problem is I ran out of rice. I have a box of rice a Toni, noodles, potatoes. What would you suggest, if anything, that I could substitute for the rice, without compromise the integrity of the real meal? I'm leaning towards the rice a rink, but I'm iffy because I don't know what flavor it is yet. Lol I even forgot I had it

I think red beans go very well with rice, but since you are not sure of the flavor of the rice yet, I would go with the potatoes. Potatoes are very versatile and they go well with most things, so cooking them along with the red beans should work just fine. The beans could go as a side dish with the potatoes.

You need a whole grain to complete the protein. Any whole grain will do, but any processed or "white" grain will be missing the components that complete the protein. As far as a complete meal goes, without a whole grain, beans are a lot of complex carbs, but won't feed muscle properly.

005.JPG
I only eat them with rice. :headshake:

Mine never look like that. That is what I want to happen, but mine looks more like it came out of a cheap box

Oh yeah, I finally made my red beans and rice, I just used what was in a rice-a-roni box. I just had to put up with a little bit of vermicelli.

The incident was some way beyond this case, but I can't help be reminded of a friend who, having found himself out of rice and with a large pan of curry to be eaten, resorted to using pasta. Not that I was present at this feast, but he told me about it later and declared that it worked very well!

The incident was some way beyond this case, but I can't help be reminded of a friend who, having found himself out of rice and with a large pan of curry to be eaten, resorted to using pasta. Not that I was present at this feast, but he told me about it later and declared that it worked very well!
I got scared. We can't waste what food have lol
I ended up opening a box of rice a roni. I set the seasoning packets to the side and used just the rice and vermitelli. It was just as good as plain white rice. I was iffy on doing it that way because I'm not a vermicelli fan AT ALL. So not only did I get my dinner made for that night, but I have a seasoning packet that I have no clue about what to do with it. Lol

I'm getting ready to make red beans and rice tonight. The problem is I ran out of rice. I have a box of rice a Toni, noodles, potatoes. What would you suggest, if anything, that I could substitute for the rice, without compromise the integrity of the real meal? I'm leaning towards the rice a rink, but I'm iffy because I don't know what flavor it is yet. Lol I even forgot I had it

Cabbage. Slice savvoy cabbage (more leafy) and saute in garlic with coconut oil and butter. Delicious with red beans. Yum!

Red beans and fried cabbage sounds good. I had not thought about that combo, I will try it though. I use the seasoning packet when I cook something that needs more seasoning like the next time you make beans or add to plain white rice to give it a change of taste or when you make soup.

Back
Top Bottom