red or white wine?

Does anyone drink sweet red wine and if you do could you post the name
Red muscat wines, the semi dry variant, have a sweeter flavor, but not as sweet as the sangrias. If you really want the sweet wines, try the ice wines from Canada. These are known as dessert wines.

I also prefer red wines that still retain the fruity notes but still retain the bold flavor, thus the preference for semi-dry.

In my early twenties, I hated wine. By my late twenties, I loved white wine but red wine gave me headaches. Now, I much prefer red wine as white wine is acidic and makes me emotional. I am not a wine connoisseur like my partner though. He can identify different flavors and aromas.

I used to be a die hard fan of full bodied heavy dry red wines - the deeper, richer and dryer they were, the better. But over the past 10+ years I've migrated towards white wines for a variety of reasons. One of the biggest being I can't stand how red wines stain my mouth, my teeth and all the recipes I use them in. Not to mention drops of it spilling on my good clothes or furniture.

Even something like a home made tomato sauce (aka "Sunday sauce") I think the white wine works better. It adds that alcohol aroma which heightens all the other scents coming from the sauce too, without sticking out like a sore thumb like red wines often do, sometimes overpowering the tomato. I don't like it when red wine turns my pasta sauce "purple". This becomes even more noticeable if you are adding a little cream to your sauce, like a bolognese sauce. White wine takes on almost a light buttery scent in the pasta instead, which matches up nicely with the Romano and Parmesan cheese I will sprinkle generously over the pasta.

For sipping at home, I also still prefer a white wine, because it doesn't leave as strong of an aftertaste in my mouth.

Spanish and Italian reds for me, and some of the French reds. Bulgarian reds can be good too. I can't drink sweet wines, I much prefer a full bodied fragrant and fruity wine.

Back
Top Bottom