Recipe Red Snapper, Green Sauce

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
5:21 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Intended for the Cookbook Challenge thread.

Ingredients
1 slice Italian bread
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/8 cup minced fresh parsley
1/8 cup minced garlic
1 tbsp minced fresh basil
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup minced green bell pepper
2 tbsp capers
4-6 red snapper fillets

Method (serves 4)
Place the bread slice, parsley, garlic, basil, sugar, salt, and pepper in a blender and blend well. If it's too thick, add equal amounts of olive oil and fresh lemon juice. Pour this into a mixing bowl and stir in the green pepper and the capers.

Lay the fillets in an oiled baking dish and cover with the green sauce. Get your oven good and hot on broil and broil the fillets tor 10 minutes. Serve while hot.

cookbook1-recipe-1.jpg

I followed the recipe exactly, other than cutting the recipe in half (I live alone).

Page 90, Italian Immigrant Cooking, by Elodia Rigante.

The blended part did NOT turn out too thick, so no need to adapt as the author suggested.

I do think there was too much olive oil in this recipe, but despite that … I could ignore that... this recipe was awesomely good.

red-snapper-italian-img_7483.jpg

A serving.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mountain Cat - My apologies - I misled people in the Cookbook Game thread by suggesting photographing the recipe. Our site owner would prefer that recipes are added as text because they will not be recognised by search engines otherwise. As this is my fault I've converted the recipe to text for you and added.

I love the idea of a 'green' sauce for this fish - capers are lovely with fish. I agree that it looks to be a lot of olive oil in the recipe. In fact it seems to be 'pooling out' in your photo. Isn't Red Snapper quite an oily fish in any case (not sure)?

Please don't think I'm being critical of your cooking - we were told to follow the recipe!

I love the idea of a 'green' sauce for this fish - capers are lovely with fish. I agree that it looks to be a lot of olive oil in the recipe. In fact it seems to be 'pooling out' in your photo. Isn't Red Snapper quite an oily fish in any case (not sure)?

Please don't think I'm being critical of your cooking - we were told to follow the recipe!

I totally agree. Indeed, I didn't pour out all the oil onto the dish for the photo. I think the recipe calls for way too much oil.

Red snapper, however, is not an oily fish, it is more in the general category of "white fish" despite the redness of its skin. That being said... way too much oil here! I'd recommend someone use half the amount of oil. Perhaps even less!

Back
Top Bottom