Votes: 11 57.9%
  • I hate it

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Its OK

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I've never eaten rhubarb

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've never seen it for sale or growing here. A couple of local suppliers have rhubarb and rhubarb and apple pies but it's out of a tin. Personally I prefer it raw but I have tried a locally made rhubarb and apple pie. Once.

Last edited:
Its certainly a favourite with high end chefs in the UK - not least, I think because it looks so very pretty. Here are a few examples from Great British Chefs website:

Bay Panna Cotta Recipe - Great British Chefs

View attachment 41973

Rhubarb and Custard Recipe - Great British Chefs

View attachment 41975

Roast Wood Pigeon with Rhubarb Recipe - Great British Chefs

View attachment 41976
Looks very nice. I think around here, it's considered something stodgy, like something your grandmother would make, but now it's not trendy. I do know when we've been to Britain, there seemed to be some kind of rhubarb dessert on most menus.

I will wait to see what you do - I'm very interested in using rhubarb in savoury dishes.

How widely available is it in the Netherlands & USA?

It wasn't something I ever saw on the Gulf Coast of Florida growing up. It's too hot, and on the Gulf the soil is really sand, not dirt, so it's hard to grow anything other than scrub oak and pine, crabgrass, sand spurs, and sea oats.

My mother was originally from Minnesota before she moved to Texas, and I remember her talking about her grandmother's strawberry rhubarb pie. I never actually tried it until about 15 years ago, but I wasn't crazy about it. It wasn't horrible but not great. I love strawberry so I am sure it was the rhubarb that detracted from my enjoyment.

I've pinpointed three very different but savory/savoury rhubarb recipes I want to make over today and tomorrow. Picked up some ingredients to go along with the rhubarb yesterday.

One is a vegan soup. I even picked up a few loathsome carrots for it, although I will use less than the recipe calls for. (The rest are welcome to become mirepoix, an ingredient for homemade veggie broth, or chicken treats...)

One is a strawberry-rhubarb chutney that I'll use over goat cheese and "Crostini", or the bread I have to adapt to being crostini-like. Y'know, COVID-availabilities and all. Interestingly enough, when I found the soft goat cheese, they had a flavor with strawberry/rhubarb already incorporated. Decided not to buy that one as I want the home made chutney to embody that flavor. But I may pick it up on a future run, if it s is still available.

The third is a chicken, lemon and rhubarb dish.

I'll keep you posted with recipes if they turn out.

Last edited:
Not very, supermarkets don't sell it. But farmers markets and organic stores do in season.

I occasionally see it seasonally in larger supermarkets, of which of date I'm not visiting for some reason. I got my stash from a Massachusetts home delivery service that brings nearby farmed foods to your home.

One is a vegan soup. I even picked up a few loathsome carrots for it, although I will use less than the recipe calls for. (The rest are welcome to become mirepoix, an ingredient for homemade veggie broth, or chicken treats...)

One is a strawberry-rhubarb chutney that I'll use over goat cheese and "Crostini", or the bread I have to adapt to being crostini-like. Y'know, COVID-availabilities and all. Interestingly enough, when I found the soft goat cheese, they had a flavor with strawberry/rhubarb already incorporated. Decided not to buy that one as I want the home made chutney to embody that flavor. But I may pick it up on a future run, if it s is still available.

The third is a chicken, lemon and rhubarb dish.

I look forward to seeing/hearing how they turn out. For some reason the vegan soup doesn't immediately appeal. But the other two sound great.

Way back doing my Nurse's training in the early 80's I lived in a Nurse's Quarters where meals were provided as part of my board and lodgings. Rhubarb stewed within an inch of it's life was a staple dessert and wasn't pleasant to eat, but we ate it regardless or went hungry, which to this day has kind of put me off seeking it out. I'm sure if I had it cooked in a more modern fashion, I'd change my mind.

Some great ideas here. I now feel the need to cook some rhubarb, and we have plenty in the garden as the crop is at its fullest at the moment. The downside is that the variety we have seldom turns red, so not very pretty.

Way back doing my Nurse's training in the early 80's I lived in a Nurse's Quarters where meals were provided as part of my board and lodgings. Rhubarb stewed within an inch of it's life was a staple dessert and wasn't pleasant to eat, but we ate it regardless or went hungry, which to this day has kind of put me off seeking it out. I'm sure if I had it cooked in a more modern fashion, I'd change my mind.

Done properly, still a little bit firm, it tastes lovely.

Back
Top Bottom