• I hate it

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Its OK

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I've never eaten rhubarb

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That sounds delicious.
It was an adaptation of a recipe I found online, and not a way I have made this type of sauce before. Basically, the rhubarb, stem ginger and star anise are simmered in red wine and a little beef stock, reduced, sieved and thickened with arrowroot powder. It needed a bit of tweeking, but was decent, and a good balance to the duck.

Oddly enough my wife, who I assumed was not that fond of rhubarb actually suggested adding it to my garden next year. Maybe she had a piece of strawberry - rhubarb pie lately, one of the most common uses here in the States.

Love the stuff, don't see it too often more likely at places like Sprouts and Whole Paycheck Foods. Of course now I'll be on the lookout for some, will have to play with some savoury versions.

mjb.

Intrigued by the Merican tales of Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie I thought I'd try to recreate it. I don't have strawberries, but I do have raspberries, so this is a Rhubarb and Raspberry Pie. Very nice indeed.

View attachment 42215
Intrigued by the Merican tales of Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie I thought I'd try to recreate it. I don't have strawberries, but I do have raspberries, so this is a Rhubarb and Raspberry Pie. Very nice indeed.

Looks fab! I think I'd prefer raspberries as TBH, I don't particularly like cooked strawberries.

View attachment 42215

Please tell me more about the centre bit. I know what it's supposed to do but I've never seen one, let alone use one.
Russ

Please tell me more about the centre bit. I know what it's supposed to do but I've never seen one, let alone use one.
Russ

It's a very long time since I saw one. My dear old mum used to have a couple (only plain) for holding up the crust of her meat and potato pies (no sides or bottom, just a lid).

I really miss those pies.

It's a very long time since I saw one. My dear old mum used to have a couple (only plain) for holding up the crust of her meat and potato pies (no sides or bottom, just a lid).

I really miss those pies.

Ok, so that's what it's for, I thought it may release steam ?????

Russ

I love it, but not everyone in my family does, so there's no point in me buying fresh as it would go off before it was all used. Rhubarb and custard is about my favourite - I use tinned rhubarb for that.

I have never tasted or seen rhubarb. I have no logical explanation other than my father HATES it for reasons unknown to me so we weren't even allowed to say the word growing up. I guess it just slips my mind unless someone mentions it. I should probably try it at least once. I will probably never buy it in the store but will look for it on restaurant menus whenever we open back up around here.

Back
Top Bottom