Rice Cookers / Steamers

Is it possible that basket is for steaming meat/veg along with the rice? Mine had a rack contraption that was meant for that - which I promptly lost.

Yes, exactly. It will work with meats and veggies as well as rice and other grains. That's why I ordered that big basket, for the room it has in it for that sort of thing.

Up until now, my method for steaming veggies and meats was to use a sauce pan. I put the stuff in a shallow filled sauce pan with a cover on it. It was workable, but only for a small amount of stuff and usually, did not give the results I really wanted.

Steaming food is something that I have rarely been doing, because I have not been properly equipped to do the job well. But it is something that I really need and would like to do more frequently.

Is it possible that basket is for steaming meat/veg along with the rice? Mine had a rack contraption that was meant for that - which I promptly lost.

I have a suspended basket to insert in my muticooker which I have always presumed was for steaming (i.e. water in the bowl and vegetables, fish, etc, in the basket). Also can be used for boiling eggs during rice cooking (I occasionally have a boiled egg with curry).

I think this is the manual for the one posted about initially:

https://www.aroma-housewares.com/static/manuals/ARC-954SBD_InstructionManual.pdf

Take a look at the How To Cook Rice section and the How To Steam section and the How To Steam And Cook Rice section.

That should clear it up. The basket looks to be for steaming food. It still cooks rice the traditional way, I think, with liquid.

I have two Aroma brand rice cookers (two sizes). I am very happy with them.

CD

Here's mine, probably 20 years old or more:

Nothing fancy, no digital, just fill it with rice and liquid, snap the top shut, press the paddle switch down, and wait for the red "cook" light to go off and the green "warm" light to come on.

It had a metal rack that fit over it for steaming, but I either lost that or threw it out years ago.

I listen out for the cooker to click over to the Warm setting, then I unplug the machine. If I don't, the rice will eventually burn!! 😱

I listen out for the cooker to click over to the Warm setting, then I unplug the machine. If I don't, the rice will eventually burn!! 😱

That indicates to me that the machine has developed a fault. Not that I do it myself but locals here, particularly in restaurants, will leave the machine on "keep warm" half a day or more.

That's also how mine works.

Mine is on the list to be donated soon, as I've added a couple of things to the kitchen and I need to enforce my "one in, one out" rule.

I figure I make rice, at best, about every six weeks, so I should be able to manage with the stovetop. Also, the rice cooker (like many small appliances) annoys the crap out of me because it's got an extremely short cord, which means it's got to be located damn near on top of an outlet, and it's not retractable or even wrappable around the bottom, so it's a pain to store. That stupid cord is too short on the countertop, and too long in the cupboard! 😠

Many* of the electric leads (or cords) belonging to my kitchen gadgets are removable and around 1.20 metres long. As the power outlets in my kitchen are 0.40 metre above the work surface, this length is adequate.

{Edit: *Five of around thirteen]

That indicates to me that the machine has developed a fault. Not that I do it myself but locals here, particularly in restaurants, will leave the machine on "keep warm" half a day or more.

They should have a built-in thermostat that would shut off the cooker if it is in the Warm setting too long. Probably not a fault. It may be just designed that way.

I received my Instant Pot compatible Hartigo Steamer Basket today.

full.jpg

Back
Top Bottom