RIP Queen Elizabeth II

I think the whole planning was called "Operation London Bridge", because I recall someone saying " London bridge is down" a couple of weeks back, when the Queen passed.

Tomorrow is a public holiday here for a day of national mourning... so I suspect we'll get the whole thing again on TV.
We watched nearly all of it live, end-to-end.

When the procession reached Windsor, maybe around 3-3:30PM, there was continued coverage, but finally, they signed off with a “That completes our coverage of the funeral blah blah blah,” and as soon as they stopped…fade to black, pictures of Queen Elizabeth young and old, birth and death years, and then…and then…a huge splash of color, a big flourish of royal music, and a commentator announcing, “Welcome to our afternoon coverage of the funeral blah blah blah,” and they played all the significant bits back again for the rest of the evening.

When the procession reached Windsor, maybe around 3-3:30PM, there was continued coverage, but finally, they signed off with a “That completes our coverage of the funeral blah blah blah,” and as soon as they stopped…fade to black, pictures of Queen Elizabeth young and old, birth and death years, and then…and then…a huge splash of color, a big flourish of royal music, and a commentator announcing, “Welcome to our afternoon coverage of the funeral blah blah blah,” and they played all the significant bits back again for the rest of the evening.

Please tell me you are not spending your vacation watching the TV. :eek:

CD

Yep, we had it all live here as well... Just in order for our representatives to be at the funeral the official day of mourning had to wait until they'd flown back from the UK and caught up on jet lag... QE2 was also the Queen of Australia and the only one who every visited officially during her reign, so we get it a second time for good measure.

Please tell me you are not spending your vacation watching the TV. :eek:

CD
There wasn’t much else going on that Monday, just about anything of any significance was closed, so yeah, we stayed inside and watched the funeral nearly all day Monday. I know we went out for a couple of walks, but that was about it.

What a holiday!
Prison-like hotel; everything closed; English pizza; and British nachos... :eek: :eek: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Or the flip side - 8-room luxury apartment, personal limo driver from Bayeux to Paris, 1st class Eurostar to London, Tower Bridge close enough to spit on from our room, privilege of being here during the funeral… :whistling:

We both agree, this has simultaneously been one of the worst and one of the best breaks we’ve ever been on. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom